From:
maureen Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:53:04 -0400

I have had several requests for copies of the travel letters people use.
Here is a copy of one I wrote from your suggestions.  Thank you to all.

February 17, 1999

To: Rainbow Lodge Staff

I have Celiac Disease, a non-contagious auto-immune condition that causes me
to become ill if I eat anything containing or derived from wheat, oats,
barley, rye or malt.  I cannot eat anything containing even small amounts of
these ingredients including pasta, breading, flour, croutons, blue cheeses
made from breadmold, etc.

While visiting your lodge on March 17-19 I would appreciative if you can
create meals without any of those glutinous grains in it.  I can eat:  all
unprocessed fruits, vegetables, salads, meats, eggs, seafood (except
artificial crabmeat), dairy, nuts, rice, corn tortillas and potatoes
--providing they are not cooked on a grill (or in a fryer) containing residue
of wheat products.  (Please cook in a separate paan or wipe the grill).
Lunches are always a challenge, but green salad and a bit of meat or egg will
usually hold me.  I am happy to bring my own dressings and condiments for
your convenience.

Foods can be flavored with most spices, herbs, garlic, shallots, onions and
wine, but not curry powder, white pepper, mustard, beer, sour cream(except
Cabot's), soy sauce containing wheat, or white vinegar made from grain.
Balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, cider vinegar and wine vinegar's are OK.
Please thicken sauces with cornstarch, not wheat flour.

Please be careful using processed flavorings, sauces or soup stocks without
reading the labels carefully.  I cannot tolerate even small amounts of the
grains that are added to them (I need to avoid even the breadcrumbs on a
butter knife).  Please do not use anything in my meals that contain the
following grain-derived ingredients:
    *  annatto color
    *  binders
    *  caramel color
    *  cereal or bran
    *  cottage cheese (except Cabot's, may contain food starches)
    *  curry powder (may have flour as an unlisted ingredient)
    *  dextrin
    *  emulsifiers
    *  fillers
    *  gluten
    *  granola
    *  gum (though guar gum and xanthan gum are OK)
    *  hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP)
    *  hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
    *  ice cream (though Hagaan Daz is OK)
    *  ketchup (though Heinz is OK)
    *  leavening (if unspecified)
    *  licorice
    *  modified food starch
    *  mono & diglycerides
    *  mustard (wheat flour may be a hidden ingredient)
    *  "natural flavor" (might be from grain)
    *  plant protein
    *  rice syrup (may use barley enzymes)
    *  shortening (vitamin E from wheat germ may be added)
    *  sour cream (except Cabot's, may contain food starches)
    *  soy sauce (Read label! Wheat is used in most brands)
    *  stabilizers
    *  textured vegetable protein (TVP)
    *  tomato paste if listed as an ingredient in something else
    *  vegetable gum (may be made from forbidden grains)
    *  vegetable shortening (may be made from forbidden grains)
    *  white pepper

I really appreciate the extra effort I know this takes on the part of the
food service staff.  The past two years I have visited, they have been very
accommodating.  Please feel free to call me to confirm you have received this
letter and to ask any questions.