From:
Robert Arles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Arles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 12:00:39 -0700

BAKING WITH WHOLE GRAIN FLOURS OR ESCHEWING GRAINS ENTIRELY, WHILE FINE
= FOR SOME, MAY NOT BE VIABLE OPTIONS FOR THE MAJORITY.

Baking with carefully selected flours or eschewing grain entirely is
exactly the choice that we must make if we are gluten sensitive.  It
does not sound as though the sender knows what celiac is.

We cannot eat what the majority eats.  After we read labels for
a few years, it is hard to escape the conclusion that no one should
eat what the majority eats.  This is a political problem far more than
it is a medical one.

PERHAPS FOR
THE = MANY OF US WHO WANT INCREASED AVAILABILITY AND VARIETY OF
ENRICHED GF = GRAINS AND PRODUCTS, CONSCIOUSNESS-RAISING AMONGST
OURSELVES AS WELL AS = NON-CELIACS, AND CONSUMER PRESSURE ON
MANUFACTURERS MAY BE OUR BEST = OPTIONS FOR CHANGE.=20

I strongly disagree with this request to "pressure" manufacturers for
change.  We need to praise those few manufacturers who
make good GF products, and we should not demand that they do more for
us for nothing.   Especially we do not want them to become targets for
political activists with hidden agendas.

Enriched baked goods are one of the oldest scams in American politics.
FDA insiders form small corporations and get paid for hauling away
brewer's yeast.  Blessed by the FDA, this waste product is then resold
to millers and bakers as "enrichment." Generous political contributions
follow.

The problem with enrichment is that it is one more ingredient on an
already overcrowded label.  Celiacs are more likely than non-celiacs to
have other food allergies.  This is one more reason to read the labels,
and the labels must be comprehensive yet simple.  It is not just gluten
that we need to worry about.

Even the extra gluten is a problem.  No one need tell us anything if the
added gluten in processed foods results in less than 20 ppm total.
In principle there is nothing wrong with adding enrichment if
the source is listed in the ingredients.  Instead we find the source not
listed there, but imprecisely mentioned somewhere else on the package.
We are not told whether it is brewer's yeast (containing gluten
residue) or nutritional yeast (which may be gluten free depending on
the medium it is grown in) or something else entirely which is the
source of the added B-vitamins.

If the advocates of enrichment really cared about our
health, they would tell us how we can add B-vitamins to our food using
a teaspoon or two of nutritional yeast.  Then we would know what
we were eating.

This campaign for enriched GF products has nothing to do with
nutrition, and it has everything to do with the extortion of political
contributions by greedy federal employees who feel our tax dollars,
our life savings (through inflation), and trillions of dollars of
borrowing are not enough for them.  Someday they will make
it illegal to breathe.  Then the feds will pardon all their friends and
entomb their enemies without the need for potentially embarrassing
trials.  Until then we need to protect the companies who serve us from
racketeering in the political classes in this country.  Be vocal in
your opposition to this scam.