From:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:16:09 -0800

Thanks to all who responded.  I should have been more specific in my description of the chocolate that I have.  It's a bar of dark with orange pieces and almond slivers, and it is made in Switzerland.  It has no gluten ingredients, but has a warning about possible traces of peanuts/tree nuts and milk.

Many people told me to watch out for barley malt which is present in some Lindt chocolates.  Dark and white chocolate bars made in US do not contain malt, but are manufactured on shared equipment and cannot be guaranteed to be gf.  Lindt US  website:  http://www.lindtusa.com/info-exec/display/faq#1a

From the Canada website:  http://www.lindt.com/ca/swf/eng/information/faqs/  Lindt Dark and White solid and plain chocolates do not contain gluten. Lindt Milk chocolates are manufactured with a small amount of malt extract which is derived from barley, a source of gluten. The gluten concentration in those chocolates is below 20 mg/kg which is equivalent to gluten free according to the Codex Alimentarius and the EU food regulation.

So, it seems that Lindt chocolate made in Canada is considered to be gf, but American-made is not.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Marian
Portland, OR