Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:52:05 EDT

After reading a summary that was posted on this list regarding  osteoperosis,
I felt I should respond because some of the advice given is  not  in
accordance with current scientific and medial knowledge.  Yes,  magnesium and vitamin
D are important for calcium absorption.  Vitamin K,  however,  has a totally
separate function -- it's involved in blood  clotting.  My bone endocrinologist
at Columbia University said that boron  has not been show to have any
beneficial effects on bones.  Maybe there is  a difference of opinion on boron.

There are several medications that are proven to help with  osteoperosis.  I
have personally had good experience with first  fosamax and for the past two
years, evista.  In fact a large government  study came out with results
yesterday showing the evista  reduces  breast cancer risk in post-menopausal women,
in addition to  its beneficial results on the bones.

As far as hormones go,  many women have gone off of them because of  the
cancer risks though a recent study came out that qualifies that to some  extent.
In any event, I do not believe its common to take hormones for  osteoperosis
any longer unless there are symptoms of menopause that cannot  otherwise be
helped.  This is because of the medications specifically  geared to osteoperosis
with much lower risk profiles than hormones.

Finally regarding homeopathic remedies, some are very good but others are  of
no use, and  still others are harmful. I'm not aware of any controlled
studies showing any homeopathic remedies of benefit to someone with  osteoperosis.

Check with your doctor.
June in NY