From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:02:57 -0700

Yesterday I posted about El Ranchito soft corn tortillas being labeled GF.
I went to the website listed on the package & believe it or not, it was
Mission's website and there are about 12 brands of corn products included on
the website.  Apparently they are all affiliated in one way or another &
they are all sharing the same website.  I don't know if that means all the
those tortilla producers are owned by Mission or not, but I did enjoy
reading the Mission FAQs.  80% of the questions were about gluten!  We must
be driving them nuts!  ha ha!

Valerie in Tacoma

Chicken Enchilada Casserole (looks hard, but it's not)  I adapted this
recipe from one found in Woman's World, The Women's Weekly.  (They often
have yummy sounding recipes & interesting information about dieting, health,
herbs, etc.)

2 green bell peppers, diced (2 cups)
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I used S&W)
1 small can tomato sauce (I used Contadina)
1 Tbs. cilantro, chopped
1 whole chicken cooked, boned, shredded (about 3 cups) [I cooked my chicken
in a crock pot.]
1 Tbs. lime juice
1 jar salsa (16 oz)
6 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded Monteray Jack cheese (4 oz)

Sour cream, jalapenos, cilantro

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  coat a large skillet with oil; heat over
medium heat.  Add peppers, onion, garlic, chili powder, salt & pepper; cook,
stirring often, until softened, about 3 mintues.  Add tomatoes, 1 cup,
tomato sauce & cilantro.  cook 5 minutes.

In large bowl combine chicken w/ lime juice; stir in tomato mixture.  Spread
1/2 cup salsa in ungreased 13"x9" baking dish; top w/ 3 tortillas (break in
pieces to fill gaps).  Top w/ chicken mixture; sprinkle w/ 1/2 cup cheese.
Top w/ remaining tortillas.  Spread w/ nremaining salsa; sprinkle w/
remaining cheese.

Bake until cheese is melted, 15 minutes.  Garnish with saur cream, jalapenos
& more cilantro.

Serves 6.  Kitchen time 35 minutes.