From:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 10:26:13 -0400

In March, I sent a Franchise Alert message to all and promised a summary.  In April, my wife and I left for a 3 week trip south along the East Coast through MD,DE,VA, NC, SC, & GA.  After cleaning everthing up, including 800+ e-mails, I am apologetically summarizing.  There were only 12 responses to the subject of franchise restaurants.  7 people agreed without reservation, 3 agreed but indicated that they ate at a local franchise, where they were able to maintain an ongoing relationship with particular staff, and
2 disagreed completely.  Of the 2 that disagreed, one Harvard student stated that he eats at MacDonald's all the time and never gets sick!  Apparently, he hasn't heard, that some people in younger generations, are showing fewer signs of external symptoms, but the internal damage continues.

But one respondent that emphatically agreed,  also pointed out that we celiacs have a much bigger problem in knowing the ingredients in products that we eat and her point was known to me, but brought home forcefully  by eating in at least 20 different locations in our travels.  She pointed out the spread of giant food services like Sysco/Alliant to places that feed large numbers of people like schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and day care centers.  To that one, I can add Monarch and one more in the south that we ran into in our trip.  They were supplying franchise restaurants,  Hampton Inns, a fine restaurant in Savannah, (with whipped butter and no ingredients) .  These giant food systems refuse to cooperate with consumers as to ingredients.

Hal from Boston