From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:54:03 -0700

Hi All--

I am so confused! Hope some of you wise and
knowledgable people can help me.

I was diagnosed with "probable" celiac disease last
year (didn't get a positive blood test or biopsy x 2,
but improved on a gf diet). My GI considers me to be
celiac. So, here's what is confusing me...

If I encounter gluten accidently (as when I dine out),
I suffer from severe upper abdominal pain and vomiting
exactly three hours after the ingestion. But, I've
discovered that I can eat the batter-dipped fish,
fries and hushpuppies at Long John Silvers with no
reaction other than slower digestion and a bit of
constipation. Two nights ago, I baked some Ore-Ida
Golden Crinkles fries (considered to be gf on
Abigail's list and no suspicious ingredients listed on
the bag) and felt bloated and uncomfortable (then was
constipated and fatigued the next day).

Does anyone have any idea why I can eat at Long John
Silvers with minimal reaction, then react to what is
supposed to be gf french fries?

I suppose it's possible that my sensitivity is not to
gluten, but none of the doctors I've seen over the
years seem to know anything about elimination or
rotation diets. I'm not gaining weight though I'm
faithfully gf (I didn't react to Long John Silvers
last year just before going gf). Do any of you
experience different reactions at different times?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm not
sure now just what I can or can't eat. I'm also in the
process of easing my way into a vegetarian diet, but
these differences in reactions and not reacting when I
should be has me stumped.

Thanks.

Ayn/Kansas