From:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:17:07 -0600

You are wonderful. Thank you for the great responses. This will help me plan
my visit to Washington DC in early June.

I found an this site with loads of information.
http://dc.about.com/od/touristattractions/Attractions_Things_to_Do.htm?terms=+washington%20dc

Anne Luther
Little Rock

7 people responded with some great information on Washington DC - thanks.
Here is a summary of what was said.

I was given the Washington Area Celiac Sprue Support Group website.
www.dcceliacs.com and look under resources and find places to eat and stores
to buy gluten free foods.  The Whole Foods Markets are the best in the area
for finding gluten free.  They have their own gluten free bakery and offer
breads, muffins, biscuits, cakes, pies, etc. but in some of them you have to
ask at the bakery counter as they are frozen and not always out where you
can find them yourself. Juanita, the Chairman of this group. added some
wonderful information  which I included into the summary below.

RESTAURANTS
... really recommend Sushi (something) near Dupont Circle. Sorry I can't
remember the name, but it was voted best sushi in DC, so you could probably
ask someone who would know or do a google search. (thanks, but not a big fan
of sushi)

Also, we ate at Legal Seafoods. They have some gf stuff on a menu. Quite
well-prepared, but overpriced (it is near China Town on 7th St. NE, I
think).  It's on the web.
Austen Grill has a GF menu.
Care Atlantico
Nora
Chef Geoff
Jandara-Thai
Tara Thai
Well Dredded Burrito - lunch only
Jaleo-Spanish
Melting Pot in DC - call ahead for fondue
Chadwicks in Friendship Heights
La Colline in Union Station
Montemarte
Mike's Americal Grill
Grillfish
Legal Seafood
Cafe Dalat - Arlington
Rio Grande
Rosa Mexicana
China Pavillion - Bethesda
Don Pablos
PF Changs
Carrabas
Outback
DC Chop House
BBQ in Trapper's Cafeteria in Busch Gardens

La Rosa Mexicana near the Spy Museum - The fresh made guacamole was to die
for. They were great with the GF and the food is great.   It is a little
pricey but very good quality.
Firefly, a mid-priced restaurant in the Dupont Circle neighborhood provides
a gluten free menu if you ask in advance.
http://www.firefly-dc.com/index.html

Legal Seafoods is in several locations in the DC including 7th street near
Chinatown and the Verizon Center area (at the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro
Station). It has a gluten free menu. They have an extensive gluten-free
menu, and even offer g-f bread crumbs and g-f croutons in the salad. As for
the GF menu when you come in, or download it here:
http://www.legalseafoods.com/index.cfm/pk/content/cd/location/pid/0/cdid/11803/page/7Th%20Street,%20DC-Washington

Austin Grill, a funky Tex Mex collection of restaurants in the DC area
including one near the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro, downtown and a cute
location in Old Town Alexandria off the blue line King Street metro stop.
Ask for the GF menu when you walk in. Or download it here:
http://www.austingrill.com/austingrillee/index.php?/austin_grill_location/

Shanghai Garden. The chef, Rai Shao, will cater to any food allergy and
makes the BEST gluten-free Chinese food I've ever had. He keeps a variety of
gluten-free soy sauces in stock and will make almost anything on their menu
without gluten. It is located at 4469 Connecticut Ave, NW (two blocks from
the Van Ness Metro Station) and the phone number is 202-362-3000.

Another place for Mexican food is Alero -- one of the best in Washington.
Another great Mexican option is Lorial Plaza, but it is a little bit more
expensive. For a really nice Italian meal I would recommend Maggiano's (near
the Friendship Heights Metro Station). This is from the DC Celiac list, "I
went to dinner at Maggiano's for the first time and it was a wonderful
experience. I identified myself as as needing a gluten-free meal to the
hostess. She told me to talk with our server. First the regular menu does
indicate that gluten-free pasta is available. Our server was very
responsive. He had Chef Adrian come and talk with me. Essentially, I told
him what I would like from the menu and he did the rest. I had a wonderful
meal with some leftovers to bring home for lunch today. It was so nice to be
able to eat pasta on a cold night with my friends. They were impressed with
my personalized and attentive service."

I was thrilled to come across a deli in Bethesda that offers gluten free
sandwiches, and also has an assortment of GF baked goods from Sweet Sin. I
tried a sandwich and it was terrific. The proprietor seems very interested
in making sure that he is doing everything right. The Lilit Café is on Old
Georgetown Road at the intersection with Auburn, just around the corner from
Imagination Stage. Web site is skimpy but has the address. www.lilitcafe.com

At the American History Museum of the Smithsonian we had a great GF lunch
from the carvery - we lucked into a very informed chef and had BBQ meat
(brisket, maybe?) sweet potatoes and corn. In general, the Smithsonian
museums are fine with bringing in outside food.

Near the National Zoo we had a GF lunch in an Indian restaurant right across
the street from the Metro station, I think it was called Little India.

For a very nice evening out, our favorite plce is Restaurant Nora near
Dupont Circle. You will need a reservation, and it is somewhat expensive.
They do not have a gf menu, but their food is organic, and the wait staff is
very knowledgable about the food and able to help you order safely. It is a
beautiful little place with fabulous food!

We had great meals at Rosa Mexicana near the Spy museum. It is a couple
blocks away on the corner. Food is great and they did wonderful GF It is a
bit pricey but we ate lunch there twice.

Hi everyone, I just thought I would share another couple of GF restaurants.
I ate at Posh on 11th St between G and H in DC last night for restaurant
week, after asking a couple of questions about an appetizer, the server
instantly asked if I had problems with gluten. He said that they were
developing a gluten free menu. The manager and server were amazing, making
sure everything was taken care of, and offering alternatives for my meal.

A general listing of DC restaurants including telephone numbers is on the
website of the Washingtonian Magazine:
http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/default.asp