From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 13:11:22 EDT

<<Can anyone help with Spelt?  What is it?  Is it gluten
free?  Has anyone had any problems with eating it?  I
bought some Lasagne noodles made with spelt which is
twice as high in protein and fiber then the corn ones
so any help you can give me would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Unfortunately it's *is* wheat and is absolutely *not* gluten free:(.  When I
was only 'allergic' to wheat (ie eczema), I could tolerate spelt fine in
moderation, but once I developed intestinal symptoms and was diagnosed with
celiac, I found out *quickly* that spelt was a no no.

Some persons who don't have celiac, but just can't tolerate wheat very well,
can do beautifully on spelt, but if you're celiac spelt (and kamut) are to be
avoided even if they don't cause symptoms b/c they're still causing damage.

Bummer.  Love the stuff.

Quinoa has a fantastic amino acid profile and is gluten free.  Quinoa/corn
pasta is available.  So is millet/rice pasta.  Millet is also a wonderfully
nutritious grain - great iron content.  Plain white rice pasta is probably
the closest to traditional pasta, but the nutritional profile is - ummm -
appalling;)  So I use millet/rice and quinoa/corn (mostly the latter), and
have gotten quite used to it.

There is also lentil pasta - fantastically nutritious, but a bit odd tasting.
 I'd only use it with stronger tasting sauces for reluctant alternative pasta
eaters...but since i'm in it for nutrition, I'm fine with it.  My 2 yo eats
it no prob.

There's also potato pasta available, though hard to find.  Not great
nutrition and kind of mushy - but it cooks *super* fast which is occasionally
a consideration.

I've never seen the rice/millet pasta in the store - I order it from
www.omeganutrition.com  They also have some other pastas that I haven't tried
yet.

btw, if you get the quinoa/corn pasta, make sure it's quinoa/corn combo, the
same company also makes a quinoa/wheat pasta - which obviously isn't the one
you want;)

also, quinoa is pronounced keen-wah...

be well and happy,
katherine in atl