From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:34:57 -0400

Okay, I don't like it any more than the next person, but I understand why the new restrictions.
The post earlier today got me moving, so I checked out the list of newly banned items on the TSA
web site.  Because my son (8yo) is our Celiac, I always travel with food for him.  If we're lucky, we
hit a McDonald's at an airport in mid-trip, but that's not always a guarantee (there might not be
one and there might not be enough time).  But a child does not travel well on an empty stomach,
so what can I take?

Yes, I generally pack the very items that are now banned: juices, bottled water, yogurt, pudding.
So I emailed the TSA regarding other items that seem to be okay: luncheon meat, chips/pretzels,
cheese (just not in pressurized cans), dried or fresh fruit (I am going to assume that the little
snack bowls of fruit are banned because of the liquid tho' I didn't see these on the list), crackers,
cookies, nuts, etc.  Their respond was just a reiteration of the new regulations--not much help.

For those of us traveling with young children, we will have to wait until the flight attendant arrives
to get something to drink, so now we'll have to pack gum or some other "chewy" for stablizing the
pressure on the ears. Also, we'll need to try for seats in the front in order to get served faster.

Suffice it to say that before our next trip, I'll have to review and examine each item I have
previously packed (no soy sauce packets, for example).  You'll need to do the same with
EVERYTHING you take.  Did you know you can board with a safety razor, knitting needles and 4"
sharp scissors but no lip gloss?  I guess ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do.... :-)

Joy