From:
Jennifer Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:14:37 -0500

Part 2, whole-wheat like bread.

10.  Just substitute sorghum/milo for the grain flour in any recipe and
you
get a great "whole wheat"ish kind of loaf.

11.  I would recommend Manna from Anna bread mix.  My seven year old was
diagnosed a year ago and she really likes it....much better than any
"white"
GF  bread.

12.  I have developed my own flour "mix" for homemade bread from a
recipe I
obtained from Red Star Yeast.  They have a free pamphlet for various
kinds
of GF bread.  Call 1-800-4-CELIAC and ask for a copy.

I started with the 'white' bread recipe, but changed the flour mix to 1
cup
of garfava, 1 cup of white rice, 1/2 cup tapioca and 1/2 cup cornstarch.
This combination yields a bread that rises well on a single cycle rise
cycle
in my 'Z' machine, toasts pretty well, and tastes good. I've found that
all
of the recipies for GF bread have some latitude in the ingredients which
allow different tectures and qualities depending upon your needs.  You
might
want to substitute some brown rice flour for some of the white rice
flour in
your recipe to get more of a 'wheat' bread consistency.  I've found
that the
brown rice flour does not rise quite as well as the white rice variety.

You might also like the french bread recipe in Bette Hagman's book,
"More
from the Gluten-Free Gourmet".  Page 41.  Note that it uses rapid-rise
yeast
rather than the standard (what?) slow-rise yeast.  Still, very good with
spaghetti or chili.

13.  You definitely want to try Manna From Anna which looks just like
whole wheat bread and it is really awesome.  And you DON'T need to
toast it to be edible.   But this is a mix, and I use my Kitchenaid
mixer to make it.    Go to www.glutenevolution.com and see the 3
different varieties.  Anna will also let you know if there is a store
near you that carries this mix.  She is a terrific person to talk to.

14.  BOB'S RED MILL Gluten Free Bread Mix. You can also buy his other
products that are GF.  If you want to make your bread look and taste
more like wheat bread, then you can add Ground Flax Seed Meal.  Bob's
Red Mill Has this, too.  Just add about 2-3 tablespoons to your bread
batter.

This is good bread and easy to make.  You can buy it at the regular
grocery store in the flour section or, if your store has a gluten free
section, it should be there.  Or, ask your grocer to order it for you.

You can use a bread machine, but, I mix mine by hand and put it in my
bread pan and let it set in a closed oven (not on) until it rises to
the top of the pan, then bake it.

I think that you can get them on line:   www.bob'sredmill.com

15.  I'm with you.  It's amazing that there's so much emphasis on
unhelathy
refined grains, etc. for celiacs.  It's like the wohole nutrition
revolution has passed us by, and many in our ranks say we should just be
satisfied with getting gluten-free.  There are others, however, who wish
there was something else, but have to make do for the moment.
More power to you in your quest, and I hope you will summarize your
findings for the list.  If not, could you get back to me with what you
have learned?

16. I use the Montina bread recipe and add 2 Tbsp flax seed meal and 2
Tbsp
Amaranth seed.  The Montina adds fiber and protein and allows the bread
bend a little rather than crumbling apart.  Have fun baking!

17. My favorite bread recipe is from Carole Fenster's cookbook, Wheat
Free
Recipes and Menus.  It is called "white" bread, but by changing the
type of
flours you use (but keeping the same proportions, you change the look
and
taste of the bread.  I usually subs. about half the flour called for
with
either sunflower seeds or almonds, ground extrememly fine in my food
processor.  This turns out a "whole grain" type of loaf - delicious and
very
nutritious, and high in fiber.  I would suggest buckwheat flour would
give
you a smooth, dark type of bread, similar to what you remember as "whole
wheat bread".  Buckwheat flour can have a strong flavor, so I would
subs.
maybe one cup out of a recipe to start, and see how you like the taste.
  You
could increase the amount until you get a loaf that has the taste you're
looking for.  Good luck,

18. Jennifer, after many years of trying different recipes for my
husband, some
with terrible results, we have discovered "Manna from Anna".  You can
order
the mix over the internet at http://www.glutenevolution.com/index.html.
  Be
sure and read the suggestions to make the best bread or e-mail Anna for
suggestion and help...she is great.  This bread tastes, in my husbands
opinion, the very best of many years of trying.  I use a bread
machine...you
can make regular bread, Cinnamon raisin, etc out of the mix.
Good luck

19. Manna from Anna is the best (www.glutenevolution.com), it's more
heartier
like whole wheat.  I've also added seeds to it like pumpkin, flax and
sunflower seeds, that been nummy.

Also really like Pamela's new bread mix, it's a little more like a white
bread (I know that's not what your looking for) but it has great
texture and
soft like normal bread.  I bet you could add stuff to it to make it more
heartier (rice bran maybe and/or those seeds).  Awesome as French Toast
too.

Both of these are more like normal bread, we never have to toast them
and
they never crumble.  So good.

20. I think teff is the ingredient in Ethiopian bread.  Teff is a
"flour" that is grown in Idaho now.
I think the Seattle brown bread made by Ener-G food might contain teff.
  It looks more like a whole wheat bread than the white rice bread.  You
could probably find it on the Internet at glutenfreemall.com.