From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:50:10 -0400

My reply to Ayn and others with like feelings:

I don't understand. If going on a gf diet results in your feeling better
than you ever have in your life, how could friendships be lost? My new
husband, my family, my friends - they all know about my need for care in
making sure my food is safe; sometimes they are less careful than I would
wish, but ultimately it's up to me to make sure I'm taken care of.  I
haven't lost any friends and as a matter of fact, being an undiagnosed
celiac has led me to be extremely sensitive to the needs of many new
friends and acquaintances who have the same or other food allergies,
intolerances or specific religious dietary needs.

This December marks ten years of eating gf for me & I haven't lost one
friend because of my eating habits. I admit that some friends find it
"difficult" that I have this need, but we have remained friends.  Perhaps
I'm lucky that Vancouver is such an ethnically diverse city and therefore
has an abundance of eclectic grocery stores and restaurants.

My family has also had difficulty "remembering" my food restrictions, but
again, it is up to me to make sure I'm taken care of, just as I constantly
remind my dentist, doctor, pharmacist.

I learned a long time ago not to expect others to take the care I do with
my food - it's my problem, not anyone else's. People do their best - I know
that I do it better, because I know and bear the consequences if I don't
take care of me.

I also learned a long time ago not to dwell on disappointments - placing
unrealistic expectations on others for my well-being doesn't accomplish
anything.

Oh, and before I forget, I must add that I feel especially blessed when
friends and family do make an extra effort to provide gf foods for me.

The payoff for me is feeling so "alive" when eating totally g/f -
definitely my quality of life is better now than it was for my first 41 years.

I urge others to dwell on the plus's & blow off the negatives. Pity the
inconsiderate, unthinking friends and relatives and strive to be as
considerate of others as you can be. "Do unto others as you would have them
do unto you".

Helen in Vancouver, BC