From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:53:04 -0400

Last night my husband and I joined some friends for dinner at Lamberti's Cucina in Feasterville, PA. (Just NW of Philadelphia).

When I went through my typical shpiel about no flour, no this, no that, she responded that the chef knows all about gluten-free. Her elaboration led me to believe this was true.

Then, Patrick (I presume the owner) came to my table with a copy of the page describing his restaurant in the Fall 2005 newsletter of the Greater Philadelphia Celiac Sprue Support Group and a letter he gives his staff about how to accommodate gluten-free...also saying he's registered the restaurant with the support group. He professionally and pleasantly told me how it is up to us, the patrons, to tell the waitstaff that we need gluten-free and any other special dietary needs...which may be obvious to us, but since I was a new customer, I thought it was great that he took the time and trouble to do this!

I was sooo thrilled. I had poached tilapia (St. Peter's fish on the special menu) over roasted vegetables. It was fabulous. But the best part was how I was accommodated.

Many of us have experienced some awkwardness when we go out with others, who have to listen to us down our speech with the waitstaff and question everything. And then there's always the doubt over what's going on in the kitchen. Sometimes it takes the fun out of eating out. But not here.

Thanks to Patrick and Rose, the waitress.
Thanks to the good work of Greater Philadelphia!!!

Lin

*******
*******