From:
Judith Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:20:38 -0500

Jon Stade wrote:

>My fiance has, for 13 years, eaten gluten-free. This past month she was
>diagnosed. Unfortunately, she was not diagnosed with any gluten
>intolerance, rather with extreme lactose intolerance which triggered IBS.
>The gluten-free diet, in which fibre is extremely hard to come by,
>and in which green vegetables are more prominent, irritating the IBS and
>masking the lactose intolerance, was the worst possible diet for her. Even
>more distressing is the question of what those 13 years of low-fibre
>eating may mean to her later in life, since she has a family history of
>colon cancer.

1. I don't understand why you think a gluten free diet is inherently low in
fibre - I eat lots of fruit, vegetables, non-wheat bread and cereal, etc.
etc.

2. My diagnosis is IBS. Before I decided I was intolerant to wheat, I was
eating a high fibre diet (including wheat bran) as prescribed by my gastro
dr. and had excrutiating (sp?) cramps ALL the time. By going back to a
lower fibre diet as described in item #1, I didn't "irritate" the IBS, I
made it more bearable. My reading indicates that for many people with IBS,
a low fibre diet is the only thing that helps them control their problem.

3. How can green vegetables irritate IBS? Are you thinking about the gas
associated with the fermentation of the vegetable matter?

4. How can low fibre and green vegetables "mask" lactose intolerance?

>The road to diagnosis is
>a long and frustrating one, but the possible negative effects of the
>gluten-free diet are far too disturbing to justify not getting a good,
>biopsy based diagnosis.

5. This comment concerns me very much. I don't understand how eating a diet
without wheat can have disturbing negative effects, any more than a diet
without dairy products, or citrus fruit, or anything else, would. Can you
explain?

Judith

Ontario, Canada