From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 16:21:57 -0700

Here are the suggestions for eating and food shopping in Palm Springs.
Thank you all for your help.  We wound up eating at Outback Steakhouse
one night and Islands the other.  My son had ribs and a baked potato at
Outback.  He normally has the "Moeke Chicken" at Islands without the
flour tortillas, but they had run out of that dish.  So, they made a
plain chicken breast which he dipped in ketchup.  So there you go. ;-)
We couldn't try all the other restaurants.  We were with another family
that have kids that are harder to feed than my celiac son.  If I had one
piece of advice to give to parents of celiac children, it would be to
try to get them to have an open mind when it comes to food.  My son will
try anything and I know not all kids are like that, but it takes away
half of the difficulty in finding a place to eat.  Sidona/San Diego

#1) It was HOT!!!!

#2) If you go towards La Quinta there is a small shopping center with a
Vons and at the end is a healthfood store called 'Lifestyles'.  I think
along Washington.  they should be in the book--there's also one near the
Palm Desert mall--but I know 'Bea' at this one and she's very
helpful--if you perchance upon her tell her I said 'hi!'.  There is
another store but I like Lifestyles the best and I forgot the name of
the other place, anyway.

#3) You won't have any trouble in Palm Springs.  We had a condo there
which we just sold, and I found many restaurants were simple to work
with.  Of course there is Tony Roma's, very easy to eat at as their BBQ
sauce is GF so you can have spare ribs, chicken, etc.  There is a cute
breakfast/lunch place in Palm Desert called Le Petite something, where
eggs, potatoes & meats are OK.  It's on the Highway in the center of
town.  I have no trouble in the deli's asking for a hamburger on lettuce
leaves.  Lot's of Mexican restaurants so that is a simple option.  Have
fun and be prepared for very hot weather.  Renee C.

#4) I'm a resident of Palm Springs and the only health food store that I
know of that has Ener-G products, etc is located in the little shopping
center at the SW corner of Sunrise Way and Ramon Road.  The name has
changed recently, but there are only about ten stores in this center so
you should be able to find it.  I think it is now called "Natures
Harvest" or something like that.  There is also a Trader Joe's off Fred
Waring Drive in Rancho Mirage/Palm Desert.  Take route 111 to Fred
Waring and go about two blocks east/north.  You'll see the store.  It is
fairly large.  I have never been a fan of Trader Joes, but some celiacs
seem to like it.  In other areas of the country they publish a GF list,
but not here.

Good Luck,
Taylor G. Cushmore

#5) There is a GREAT mexican restaurant in downtown Palm Springs, safe
for all to eat.  Taquerias Cafe on E Tahquitz Canyon Way.  As far as
Health FOod stores, i wasnt too lucky there.  Tried one with limited
luck.  Most of the larger resorts will cater to our menus.  Lots of
salads, roasted meats etc.