From:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:06:15 -0400

I gave up the Celiac diet a while ago as it seemed to be full of unhealthy
grains and highly processed flours.   I'm woking on the Paleo Diet based and
the results for all I know doing it have been amazing.  The meals you can
make without grains a healthy, really good and visually beautiful.  There is
lots of info on the Paleo diet on line.  Robb Wolf's book The Paleo solution
explains it very well.

I make wonderful pancakes, waffles etc using almond flour and a little
arrowroot flour (a ground root not a grain).  I use the same for breading.
Every one I serve thing all are great and living next to Rocky Mountian
National Park I have lots of guests.

Grain Free alleviated all of the symptoms I experienced as well as my
daughter and son---after years of remaining troubles.

Are you also off dairy? casein?

I am just starting the GAPS diet for digestive healing. It is grain-free as
well as many other foods. I don't know that you need to do the full diet,
but if you Google it, you can find blogs with recipes that you could use. I
have noticed that I feel better without rice. My big problem is, what do I
eat? I was happy with this diet to find some recipes like grain-free banana
pancakes, hamburger soup, muffins made with almond flour, etc. Good luck!

I have been totally grain free for about 3 years and it does make a
difference. I started out GF 8 yrs ago, then I dropped all grains and now I
eat a paleo/primal diet. To check this out you can get info at
www.robwolff.com and http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ Both Robb and Mark have
written excellent books too. These are just 2 of the wonderful paleo/primal
sites.

Basically, I eat only real food. I have cut out all packaged foods, grains,
sugars, most dairy, seed oils. What do I eat? Meats, fish, eggs, nuts, some
hard cheeses, grassfed butter, coconut oil, olive oil, low carbohydrate
vegetables, a few berries.

I have to keep my carbohydrates low because of diabetes. A person who does
not need to lose weight or have problems with blood sugar spikes after
eating could increase the carb intake by adding in sweet potatoes and other
root veggies.

Beans - controversial. I don't eat them because of blood sugar spikes. Some
eat them, some don't. Lentils seem to be the most well tolerated by those
who eat them.

I am currently not grain free, but was in the past and am thinking of going
back. Three or four years ago I followed the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and
felt amazing. No gastrointestinal issues no foggy brain, none of the issues
I generally have (to a lesser degree) even when gluten free.

The diet was developed by a woman with a child with gastrointestinal issues,
with the help of a scientist. It might be worth checking out. There are
plenty of websites, Yahoo groups and even Facebook groups full of
information, resources and recipes.

Hope this helps, and I hope you feel better!

I recently went grain-free (and reduced my carbs a lot - no refined sugars,
limited sweeteners) about 2 months ago in order to deal with continued
digestive issues and Candida. I find that my digestive issues are lessened
quite a bit without grains. Now if I eat grain, I get heartburn and some of
the other disturbances return.

You might check out resources like elanaspantry.com for recipe ideas. Also,
do research on the paleo diet or primal diet. Robbwolf.com,
everydaypaleo.com, marksdailyapple.com are good resources. Robb Wolf has a
great book that talks about the reasons the paleo diet is better for your
body - celiac or not.

Suitable oats would have to be grown in an area where no wheat, rye, etc.

had been grown before as some of the other grains from an earlier wheat,
etc. harvest left on the land would also grow in among the oats.

Then there is the whole issue of harvesting, transporting and handling with
equipment and bins that don't contain resitual other grains.

But even then, I have read some years back, that some people with CD do
still react to oats produced under these strict conditions.

I am both grain free as well as gluten free, mainly because of diabetes
issues.  There are some pretty good low carb sites that
have good recipes.  I mainly cook now with almond flour or coconut flour.

I have had to elimate grains from my diet; I was have bloating sinus and
gerd problems.

I am following the Paleo diet at present.  It has taken away the bloating,
GERD and I have lost 16 pounds this past 6 weeks.  I am not hungry.  I know
the dietitians will tell you you need grains in your diet; but feeling
comfortable is more important to me.

Against the Grain has products that are both GF and grain free.

My understanding is some rice is sprayed with a coating in the interest  of
increased nutritional value and the spray is not GF. I use only Lundbergs
Rice and or Uncle Bens original and have no trouble. As to oats they have
always been considered off limits as they are probably contaminated during
the milling because the same mills mill both oats and wheat. If this doesn't
help you may be reacting to starch. I have difficulty with potatos and now I
seem to also react to tapioca bread.

I also react as you by both digestive as well as breathlessness and
occasional wheezing.

I also react to rice although with a skin itch and rash that only manifested
6 months after I had gone gluten free to solve gastrointestinal/celiac
issues. I follow a grain free and nightshade plant free diet that is like
the Paleo Diet but with some included dairy products. See the following
article that I think best describes the problem with rice and some
nightshade plants:

<http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/05/other-nonwhea
t-grains-can-also-hurt-your-health.aspx>