From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 07:33:11 -0400

At 01:40 AM 7/29/96 -0500, Martha Newton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've seen various statistics on this list of less than 1 in a 1000
>population occurance of celiac disease in various European countries and
>the US.

Every epidemiological study done in Europe and the US has found an incidence
of 1 in 300 or greater.

> Does anyone have an idea of how many of these celiac cases have the
>skin problem?

Dr. Joe Murray says 5% of celiacs also have DH.

> Based on the low interest in DH on this list and in the local
>support group, either DH is very under-diagnosed or it is an extremely rare
>condition.

Maybe because once GF their interests are diet related, same as all other
celiacs, and they don't talk about the itch that they once had. Besides, it
has been discussed here when someone newly diagnosed with DH gets on and
asks questions.

It is also very under-diagnosed, but so is celiac disease.

Don Wiss.