From:
Elizabeth Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 18:11:06 +1000

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, George & Gayle Kennedy wrote:

> "Had we not, contrary to our doctor's wishes, put our daughter on a gluten
> free diet..."
>
> The sentence pulled me almost out of my chair.  Why is it that so many
> medical professionals are against trying a gluten free diet?

I just thought I would write here as my doctor (hopefully only for a
little while longer) has decided that I have Coeliac Disease (and chances
are I probably do) but refuses to listen to me about not feeling any
better.  In my case it appears that he had decided that CD was the only
thing wrong with me even though I have been diagnosed with something else
for six years and only anemic & folate deficent since February this
year.  My IgA & IgG were four times higher than normal peoples so yes I'd
say that I'm coeliac.

My doctor told me to see a dietitian and I explained the whole thing to
her and she said "That blood test only tests for antibodies.  It could be
anything."  Anyway I don't feel any better at all.  But yesterday I
finally got the doctor to at least consider that I do have something else
wrong.

I'm writing this because it appears the majority of doctors seem to
disreagard coeliacs disease but I've found one who has decided that it is
the be all and end all of my problems.  He refuses point blank to let me
have a biospy (yes it's probably really horrible) but I'd really like to
know what's going on with me, I guess I am coeliac.
I think maybe Gayle's question "Is it only that MD's egos are involved in
finding the solution?"

Sorry I'm just angry at the doctor.  But there are doctors out there who
do consider coeliacs disease, even to the extreme of disregarding everything
else.

Elizabeth Jenkins