From:
Russell Baleson & Jane Parkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 07:55:35 PST

Hi all,

I'm writing this in response to Jane's posting regarding the ease at
obtaining gf foods in the UK.  She is right as far as I'm concerned.  In
South Africa we had VERY little to choose from so it's a delight having
variety and new tastes.

The support that the UK Coeliac Society has given her is also highly
commendable and I understand completely why she offered praise.  I however
have had totally different dealings with them.

When I enquired about membership they quickly sent me an applications
package which basically states that they only accept members who have been
medically diagnosed as having the Coeliac Condition or Dermatitis
Herpetiformis.

I telephoned and tried to explain that I had not been medically diagnosed
and being VERY sensitive to any form of gluten, I couldn't even begin to
consider ingesting gluten to have the acceptable diagnosis performed. I
told them that I would however like to be a member of their Society and was
quite arrogantly told, sorry, it's out of the question. Asking for some
kind of assistance or even explanation of their rather rigid conditions I
was told quite bluntly, "Rules are rules you know!".

I tried AGAIN (am I crazy?) by sending them a cheque and asking them just
to send me a copy of their food list.  They immediately returned both my
cheque and letter.  I am obviously disappointed and would love to get hold
of their food list. What a pity about their attitude!

Russell Baleson
PS Please note new email address:
21/02/97    07:55:35