From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:04:39 -0400

Hi all,
Here's my orginial question:
When I was first diagnosed this past May, I bought Arrowhead Mills gf =
flours and have been using them ever since.  In Whole Foods this weekend =
I bumped into a woman who told me she heard they are cross-contaminated. =
 What do you all think about this?  Do you use them and does anyone have =
problems with them?  Please advise.

I got lots of responses - thank you all very much.  I am going to paste a response stating how Arrowhead Mills processes their flours:
I recieved a list of GF products from Arrowhead MIlls which i will copy
= below.  I asked what their manufacturing policies were regarding GF
and = non GF foods.  They run on the same mills, but wash and sanitize
between = runs.  Then the first 20-30 batches of the GF product are
donated to = charitable food banks, to ensure that all GF products sold
to the public = are pure.  Then they take a sample from each run of the
product and send = it to an independant lab for testing to see if gluten
is cross = contaminated.  They do not distribute the products until the
test came = back clear.=
____
I got lots of responses from people who said they have no problems with Arrowhead Mills (and several of these people noted they are very sensitive), as well as some responses from people who say they react to Arrowhead Mills flours.

Many people suggested I stick with flours made in gf facilities. Lots of people suggested Bob's Red Mill products as they have a completely gf facility for their gf flours. One person said Authentic Foods has a completely gf facility.  Other suggestions included Nature's Path (Canadian), Gluten-Free Mall- www.Gluten-FreeMall.com, Gluten-Free Trading Company- www.gluten-free.net,  Gluten Solutions, Inc.-www.glutensolutions.com, and Ener-G.

I also got lots of suggestions about bread.  Lots of people like Chebe bread - but it's best for rolls, pizza, and the like - not as a good sandwich bread.  I got so many great suggestions on types of breads and cooking tips.  Also some book suggestions.  They include: Gluten Free Pantry's sandwich bread mix, Dietitian, Shelley Cases's book: 'Gluten-Free Diet', Revised, A Comprehensive
Resource Guide, 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes, Bette Hagmans book the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread, Gluten-Free Pantry mix called Country French Bread and Pizza Mix, The best mixes I've found are from Made By Mona, Bob's Red Mills Gluten Free Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix, Kinnickinnick Rice Flax Sunflower, Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread.

Thanks so much for your help!  And I hope this summary helps others.  Sorry it is a bit garbled.  I am working under a deadline for work and the kids bedtime is now.  Thanks,
Lori