From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:07:54 -0700

I found a new gluten-free frozen dinner at my local Albertson's.  You may have to like spinach. It's called "Tai Ethnic Gourmet".  I was checking in on the Amy's products and noticed this right next to it.  (In the Organic frozen section) There were 3 different kinds and they all say gluten-free on them.  I bought two of them.  I tried one today.  It's called Palak Paneer.  It's spinach and homemade cheese cubes tossed in a savory sauce with seasoned long-grain brown rice.  This one is meatless.  There is a chicken marsala.

However, this spinach one is the only one I've eaten and I'll give you my comments.  First of all, I love spinach.  I enjoyed the dish.  It was tasty and says on the box that it's "medium spiced".  Just a note, though, that the cheese tastes like a combination of tofu and cheese curds (if you've ever had those).  It was an unusual texture, but I still liked it.  I support any products (within reasonable taste) that goes to the effort to product, package and label it gluten-free.

I'm anxious to try the chicken to see how it tastes.  I just hope I can get my son to try the spinach.

One more note about Amy's.  They had a newly labeled gluten-free one that was a stir fry noodle bowl.  (You go girl!!)

Finally, I went to Panne Rizo in Vancouver.  I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  There were so many delectable treats in there.  Several kinds of muffins, pies, bars, cookies, chicken pot pie, etc....  I know I bought more than we needed, but I couldn't help myself.  Everything tasted absolutely delicious.  I was in such disbelief, I had to ask, "Is everything here gluten-free?".  Yes it is, was the reply.  If you're ever in Vancouver, you must check it out.  The address is 1939 Cornwall Ave.  Their web-site is

www.PanneRizo.com

I met a new friend there who was just as excited as I was.  She was from Massachusetts and has a daughter that has celiac.

Sidona/San Diego