From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:16:45 EDT

<<Has anyone experienced difficulties with sucrose before and after going gf,
or know anything about it?  If so, to what extent (fruits, raw sugar, starchy
food etc) and how long did it take before it went away, if at all, and what
symptoms did you experience.>>

Not many people responded to this!  I thought more people would have
difficulties.  The CSA Handbook described sucrose intolerance as being rarer
than lactose intolerance, and perhaps it is, and it seems both are caused by
the damaged brush border.  One response indicated that Candida was a problem
because of the lack of enzymes (sucrose intolerance).  I wonder if this is an
undiagnosed problem with those of you having Candida difficulties?
Personally, I discovered I had a Candida problem before I discovered
Celiac..perhaps it will always be inexplicable why some get lactose
intolerance and some sucrose....due to amount and nature of damage, or purely
arbitrary, or hereditary?  There are three responses under sucrose
intolerance in the archives- not an overdiscussed topic!  Feel free to
respond if you have more to add to this...maybe we can squeeze out a Part II,
esp. in regards to the Candida connection.  I am also very curoius about a
comparison of enzyme deficiency, in general and specifically, due to damage,
healing time etc.  Is enzyme function synonmous with villi regeneration? Etc.

I find I need to really limit sugar, regardless of the source.  If I go
overboard I get sluggish and the skin in my mouth gets funky and I get a
bad taste on the back of my tounge.  If I control my diet, it goes away.
????

I have candida in my gut and have ever since I've had the "onset" of celiac
symptoms three years ago.  I've not been tested, but it's quite obvious.
Anytime I eat something of a sugary nature, I get gas, sometimes pretty
severe, and fatigue.  I understand this is common since the gut's pH is
imbalanced which allows for the proliferation of "bad" bacteria, or yeast,
and the lack of enzymes to digest disaccharides (all sugars -  except for
honey and fruit).

If I avoid even potatoes and rice, it will "starve" the yeast, and I will
feel better.  Also, it helps to only eat cooked veggies, nothing raw, even
cook your fruit for the first couple weeks.  Bananas with brown spots are
okay; in other words, no starches.  Whole nuts are hard to digest and carry
fungus which feeds yeast, so avoid nuts for a few weeks and only then eat
the nut butters.  But, man, if I eat any candy, I suffer!  This imbalance
can last for years if this diet is not adhered to.  And I understand there's
really no medication that will treat this effectively, only the diet.  After
a year on the diet, one can re-introduce more starches.  So, this "after
effect" is two-fold, in my opinion: candida and lack of enzymes due to a
damaged gut.  Just my experience; I am definitely not a doctor.

Seems as though it's just not enough to have celiac, eh?
????

I had trouble with all sugar products except honey untill my intestions
healed up.  I never had any touble with fruit in small amounts.