From:
J. S. Weihofen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:17:55 EST

Hi everyone!  Wow, I was overwhelmed by the number of replies I received and
they are still coming in...to date there were over 60!  Thank you, thank you,
thank you!!! I couldn't believe so many would take the time to answer, what a
great bunch of folks you all are!!

So, here is what I found out: there were about 20 who suggested just buying
the pre made rice crusts, which I had already tried, yuck!! There were at
least 6 people who suggested different books, such as Bette Hangman's ( of
which I already have 2 and one by Jax Lowell) both very informative but I did
not like the pizza crust recipes in either.  About 10 people suggested some
different web sites to look into for recipes; I have not had a chance to
check them all out yet.  There were at least 6 who sent ideas or other
suggestions, i.e.: such as preparation and handling.  A total of 14 very
heartily recommended Chebe bread/mix, including one company, Prima Provisions
at www.chebe.com. I will check them out...Gluten Solutions also carries the
Chebe mix. Another company, Glutano, offered to send me a package of pizza
and tortillas to try.

As for the tortillas: there seemed to be no one who had made or found
any good gf flour tortillas!  Many suggested I just use the corn ones,
which is great for many things and I already do use them but for
fajitas, nothing will do for me except flour tortillas!  I did finally
find a recipe in Hangman's baking bread book that tells how to make a
flour  burrito wrap which to me is just the same as a tortilla and it is
cooked like a crepe.  I have not tried these yet but will in the very
near future and will let you know how they turn out. The ones I did try
before were like flour frisbees......  There were also several people
who sent actual  pizza recipes for me to try and the one I really liked
was sent to me by Elizabeth (Jemoda) which was a recipe by Carol
Fenster, M.D.  It did not have that horrible smell while baking and it
actually tasted good! THANK YOU ELIZABETH!!!  I will work on it though
and probably tweak it a bit to suit my own tastes but was so happy to
finally have something edible...being a scratch baker for over 40 years
I am having a difficult time "learning" to cook all over again.  Thanks
again to everyone for the multitude of suggestions and helpful hints.
Yours for good eating the gf way,   Jean