From:
scott adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 11:19:32 -0800

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to write a quick warning about an alarming rise in the number
of people who have contacted me recently regarding a supposed "cure" for
celiac disease. In the past two months I have receive several e-mails from
people who were supposedly medical doctors or nurses that proclaimed that
they have a "cure" for celiac disease, and that I should post this "cure"
on my celiac disease Web site so that they can "help" people by selling it
to them. Their cure was usually described in a book that was written by
them, or it involved going to some sort of "healing and cleansing" center
for several weeks (at an enormous expense), or both. When I ask them about
their cures, I receive the usual mumbo-jumbo about enzyme therapies and
"cleansing" treatments that are "guaranteed" to cure our disorder.

At this point my usual approach is to ask them why they have not done a
scientific study on their miracle "cure", and published the results in a
prominent medical journal such at the New England Journal of Mecicine.
Surely they would have no trouble getting a cure for celiac disease
published in such a magazine? The typical response by them is to attack me
by calling me close-minded, and to explain how long it would take them to
do these studies, and even if they did them it would take years before the
people who need their therapies will benefit from them. They also usually
say something like: "scientific test results cannot be trusted anyway,
right?" I have even been contacted by celiacs who swear such therapies have
cured them, but when I ask how they were diagnosed, or when their last
biopsy was taken to prove their claim they cannot tell me.

In any case, I would just like to warn everyone about these people because
the treatments proposed by these people are bogus, have nothing to do with
real science, and could be very harmful.

The only acceptable treatment for celiac disease remains a 100% gluten-free
diet.

Happy Holidays!

Scott Adams - San Francisco, USA
Celiac Support Page: