From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:40:53 -0500

Hi, everybody,
I wrote to Clinique in October, and got this response about their products:

<<snip>>We do not use any form of rye or barley.  We do manufacture several
products that contain wheat/oat derivatives that we would like to bring to
your attention.  The following is a list of Clinique products which contain
wheat derivatives:  7 Day Scrub Cream, All About Lips, All About Eyes,
Crystal Clear Cleansing Oil, Long Last Soft Shine Lipstick, Moisture On-Call,
Moisture On-Line, Quick Dissolve Makeup Solvent, Skin Calming Moisture Mask,
Turnaround Lotion Oil-Free Formula, Weather Everything Cream SPF 15, Moisture
In-Control, Super Last Cream Lipstick, Smooth Delivery Body Treatment.

There are two Clinique products that contain oat derivatives:  Self-Tanning
Body Balm and Extremely Soothing Cream For Upset Skin.  We do not employ the
use of flour on conveyor belts; however, we cannot guarantee the same from
our suppliers.  Although we can find no trace of impurity in our
inspections.<</snip>>

They start by saying that all their products are gf!!!  Obviously, the ones
they then list cannot be considered gf, although some users who do not react
upon skin contact may feel comfortable about using them.  I would consider
the lip products too risky for any of us, and personally feel uneasy about
putting any non-gf cosmetics on my face or hands, mainly because of the risk
of accidental ingestion.  I also suspect makes me breakout & itch.

I have not suffered any apparent reaction to Clinique products, but wrote to
complain that so many products included in their recent
free-gift-with-purchase were unusable for me because of the wheat by-products
contained in them, especially the Long Last Soft Shine lipsticks, which have
been posted as non-gf on this list before.  However, I complimented them on
their very complete listing of ingredients, which Clinique includes in even
sample packages like the one I had.  I wish all cosmetic companies were so
considerate!

Hope this helps other cosmetics users,
Bobbi in Baltimore, USA