From:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:44:05 -0700

I'm looking for more information on blood sugar fluctuations in celiac
disease.  I have nerve damage from either celiac neuropathy or prediabetic
neuropathy, I suspect it's a combination of the two.  Anybody have
experience with one or both?

When it first started up, I had been pretty badly glutened at a restaurant
one night, the next day, after a meal and some candy, I had numbness in my
mouth and it proceeded to affect most of my body intermittently over the
following weeks and months.  The neurologist has done lots of tests,
everything except lumbar puncture or skin nerve biopsy so far.  The only
test that was telling was prediabetic fasting glucose (although 3 hours
after the glucose solution I was hypoglycemic)  My theory is that the gluten
increased my intestinal permeability so that my blood sugar shot up right
after the meal, and my pancreas has a bit of trouble keeping up with the
fluctutions, ending up overcompensating with hypoglycemia and being tired
out by morningtime for the fasting glucose number.  So I have prediabetes
with complications, some of the more frightening complications of diabetes.
The good news is that I'm gradually doing better with just dietary changes,
supplements, and exercise (lost 15 pounds so far, on purpose, but still a
bit overweight). I'm just curious about all this and looking for info and
suggestions. I wonder if a lot of celiac neuropathy and prediabetic
neuropathy might be related, or if there's any way to distinguish between to
two with tests.

I'll summarize-
Thanks!
-Melissa