Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:18:57 -0500

Dear listmates-

I just heard from Abbott's Pharmaceutical division.

Abbott makes injectable dental anesthetics,
other dental products, and many, many non-dental products.

The following Abbott dental products are gluten-free, according to
Abbott:

Acetone Sodium Bisulfite
Chlorobutanol
Procaine Hydrochloride
Lidocaine Hydrochloride
Epinephrine Base
Mepivacaine (same as Carbocaine from Cook-Waite)

This includes 2% Lidocaine, but that contains epinephrine and
metabisulfite (if you have allergies to sulfites or bisulfites, this is
a concern).

The 2% Carbocaine does, too, but the 3% Carbocaine is just Mepivacaine
and water (3% Carbocaine from Cook-Waite).  There is also a plain
Lidocaine with nothing else added (Abbott contact didn't say if this is
Lidocaine 3%).

The plain Lidocaine, and the 3% Carbocaine (Mepivacaine), do
not last as long as injectable dental anesthetics with epinephrine,
so may have to be re-injected during long dental procedures.  I
think I was told 20 minutes duration upper jaw, 40 minutes lower
jaw for the plain products.

I'm going with the 3% Carbocaine, though, even if it has to be
re-injected, because I am prone to occasional Tachycardia (bouts
of speeded-up heartbeat), so I don't want anything used that has
epinephrine in it.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Vicki Jones
Homewood, IL