From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 08:13:05 -0600

>I note you state rice crackers or rice cereal may contain glutinous
>products.  I am eating KA-ME brand rice crackers and there is no
>glutinous ingredients listed on the label; however, they are made in
>Japan.  The dietitian didn't think this was a problem.  Any comment?

I am not familiar with this brand of rice crackers.  My gut reaction
(sorry, couldn't resist the pun) tells me, however, that the labeling
laws in Japan are probably not as stringent as those in the U.S. and
may have problems with unidentified ingredients, unlisted ingredients,
contaminating ingredients, etc.  The Ka-ME rice crackers might not be
a problem, but I would start by suspecting them.  Perhaps switch to
another brand and see what the result is.  Be careful of any rice
cakes that have a coating on them, such as caramel, because they
may not be GF.  I regret that I can't tell you more about the labeling
of nonGF rice cakes, but I don't have any in the house so I can't
check the labels.

>Also, I eat Nabisco Cream of Rice and Lundberg Farms rice cakes.  See
>any problem?

I am not familiar with Lundberg Farms rice cakes but the same advice
I wrote above would apply to them.  I have not checked out Cream of
Rice with Nabisco to determine its GF status.  Has anyone else done
so?  I eat Cream of Rice, BTW, so I would also be interested
in knowing if its status is anything but GF.  The label on my box
of Cream of Rice lists only rice and three B-vitamins.

>I was drinking some Ocean Spray Ruby Red grapefruit juice in the
>individual cans which I suspect may contain gluten.  I have stopped
>that.

I can't drink grapefruit juice (it makes me sick to my stomach).
Why would you suspect that it contains gluten?

                                        BJ