From:
"Dina, Illinois" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dina, Illinois
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2003 23:21:22 -0500

After reading the recent post (below) on the gluten status of sugar, I
have to ask.....  why would sugar contain gluten and has anyone come
across any brand that does?

Thanks....

Recent response from C&H:

Thank you for taking the time to contact C&H Sugar regarding celiac
disease.  Let me first say that none of our sugars contain gluten.

Our Powdered Sugar contains 3% corn starch as an anti-caking agent, and
this product may contain a very minuscule amount (less than 0.01%) of
corn gluten, which is not harmful to gluten-sensitive enteropathy
patients.  Starch from sources other than corn, such as wheat, rye,
barley, oats, spelt, or triticale, is never used.  Except for corn
starch, no ingredients other than cane sugar are used in any of our
consumer products.  They contain no additives or preservatives.

Sugar cane and corn are very closely botanically related, so it is
conceivable that someone who is allergic to corn could be also be
allergic to cane.  However, most allergic reactions are to protein, and
as the protein content is cane is exceedingly small, an allergic
reaction to cane would be very rare.  Although many producers of brown
sugars use added caramel color, which may contain gluten, no caramel
color is ever used in C&H Sugar Brown Sugars.

We sincerely hope the above is useful.