From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 16:01:30 -0400

Recently, I questioned whether we could use products containing wheat
starch in the U.S. since wheat starch is obtained from wheat via a
purification process.

Thanks to those who replied and expressed opinions. I believe the
current situation in the U.S is best summarized by Tricia Thompson, a
consulting nutritionist, in the Journal of the American Dietetic
Association, Dec 2001 v101 i12 p1456(4).

From her summary:

......"Well-designed, scientifically sound studies are needed to help
determine the amount of toxic prolamins, if any, that may be safely
consumed by individuals with celiac disease. Until this research is
conducted, dietitians in the United States should continue to advise
their patients against the use of wheat starch and other foods rendered
gluten free."

To see the full abstract, go to:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi .

Do a search for "Tricia Thompson".

The article itself is thoughtful and informative and is available for
ADA members at the ADA web site www.eatright.org . You may be able to
access the full text through your public library or a university web
site.

Joel Elias
Pittsford, NY
www.rochesterceliacs.org