Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:18:15 -0800

Tami wrote in response to Bob Levy's post:

>Another comment to add to the thread about our militant attitudes... It's
>an easy trap to fall into - I often do it myself. However, I'm definitely
>finding that old saw about honey/vinegar and flies to be true.

And, I must agree with both of them.  Kindness will go a long way in
achieving our goals.  I have to date recieved numerous coupons, from
customer service representives for many of the foods I consume.  Although
most are for a few cents here, and a few there, I have also recieved
coupons for free products.

Recently, I called a pasta company to talk with their quality assurance
division regarding a noodle of suspicious origin in my corn pasta.
Imagaine my surprise when the owner of the company answered the phone!  We
had a very pleasant conversation about how "they dutifully try their best
to clean the lines between each run, etc."  We also discussed our mutual
vegetarian diets, and how difficult it is for me (and other celiacs) to
find good quality safe foods.  I then complimented him on his product and
told him how much I appreciated his concern for our plight.  He then asked
me for my address "so that he could compensate me for my long distance
phone call, and for the product I had purchased."

Imagine my shock, when the following week the UPS man delivered a 20 lb.
box of corn pastas in many gourmet flavors and varieties!  While I grant
you this is above and beyond all expectations of any manufacturer, it is
none the less a wonderful example of what "honey vs. vinegar" can do for us.

Keep a smile in your voice, and thank them for any help they may be to you.
It does make a difference and *will* make a better impression for all of
us.

Lynda
(who is currently in pasta heaven!)

\*/\*/\*/ Lynda \*/ [log in to unmask] \*/ So. Calif.\*/\*/ _@v