From:
Martin Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 20:00:09 +0100

Summary of replies to my posting on 30 May asking whether there was any
known connection between CD and leucemia/leukemia.

There was some confusion over the 'c' spelling and half the replies
referred to this.

Of the remaining seven replies:

Four reported a similar pattern in their families.
Two had seen something on the connection but did not know where.
One suspected diagnostic confusion between CD and leukemia in the past.

Amost all posters were interested in receiving information on the
subject but it seems elusive for the moment.

Another point I raised was the question of diabetes which is rampant in
the family I described. I reprint an e-mail on this - it speaks for
itself and should allay many subscribers questions.

Martin Harris

"Martin,

You said:

>> Nevertheless, acquired (?) diabetes is abnormally high in the whole
>> population of the Canaries, apparently due to diet.

Two kinds of diabetes: autoimmune Type 1 - one enhanced among celiacs by
about 10 (5% vs.0.5% in general population due to one of each's genes
being nearby one of the other's. --no proven dietary connection;
non-autoimmune Type 2 --same 5% among celiacs as in general population--
adult onset, especially amongs overweight people, but also a genetic part.
Overweight is not really a cause, since if those who develop Type 2 lose
weight, their blood sugars normalize and thoughthey may go off medication,
the diagnostic test used for Type 2 still shows an abnormal reponse.

So please, don't conclude that celiac and diet cause either form of
diabetes. Separate genes and environmental factors are the cause of each
as they are of celiac disease.

                          Kemp Randolph
                          Long Island