From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:50:06 EST

:                                              :
:        Excerpts from _CDF Newsletter_        :
:        ------------------------------        :
: Summer 1998        Elaine Monarch, publisher :
: Fall 1998          Celiac Disease Foundation :
:                 13251 Ventura Blvd., Suite 1 :
:                  Studio City, CA  91604-1838 :
:..............................................:

Oh!  Those Other Grains
-----------------------
Notes from the November meeting, from speakers Steven Edwardeson,
Director of Research & Development, Minn-Dak Growers Ltd.; Larry
Walters, President and Co-founder of Nu-World Amaranth; and David
Schnorr, President of Quinoa Corp.

Amaranth, buckwheat, and quinoa are NOT grains.  Amaranth is a tall
plant with very broad leaves which produces multi-headed flowerets
containing grain-like seeds of high nutritional value.  Each plant
produces 40,000-60,000 seeds.  Both the leaves and seeds are edible.
The seeds are used in their whole grain form, milled into flour, or
puffed into miniature kernels.

Amaranth is closely related to pigweed, spinach, beets, and other
plants in the goosefoot family, Chenopodiaceae.  It is the tiny seed
of an herb, and is not a member of the cereal family at all.

Once a major crop of the ancient Aztecs, amaranth has been used
therapeutically for centuries.  It has high levels of calcium and iron
as well as many other vitamins and minerals not found in most grains.
It is higher in protein than most commonly used grains and has high
levels of lysine and methionine.  It is also high in fiber; puffed
amaranth contains 16% total dietary fiber.

Although it sounds like a variety of wheat, buckwheat is not related
to wheat.  It is one of the earliest crops to be grown in the United
States.  The seed resembles a small beechnut and is similar in size to
a wheat kernel.  It grows on a bush filled with white flowers and, as
the flowers dry up, small black seeds are left on the stem for
harvest.  Buckwheat comes up five days after planting and will grow
anywhere.  It does not require a lot of moisture and does not need
chemicals to be commercially grown.  A buckwheat seed looks like a
tiny black pyramid with a rounded base.  Cracked buckwheat groats are
sold as buckwheat grits; roasted groats are known as kasha.  When the
hulled seed is ground, buckwheat makes a pungent, earthy flour dotted
with dark flecks.

Buckwheat is not a cereal grain, in fact it is not a grass at all.  It
is the fruit of a dicotyledonous plant, a member of the family
Polygonaceae which includes rhubarb and sorrel.  About ten years ago,
Australian researcher J.  H.  Skerritt, M.D., showed that
alcohol-soluble buckwheat proteins bear little molecular similarity to
wheat prolamins and "therefore their description as gluten or gliadin
is unfortunate and can lead to unnecessary exclusion of this valuable
source of dietary protein in gluten-sensitive individuals."  Dr.
Skerritt also mentioned that "severe clinical sensitivity to buckwheat
has been noted in several patients, but it is of an allergic nature,
rather than an enteropathy such as the celiac condition."  [Editor's
note:  It is probably this allergic reaction in some individuals, both
celiac and non-celiac, which has led some to mistakenly believe that
buckwheat contains gluten.]

The proteins in buckwheat are the best known source of high biological
value proteins in the plant kingdom.  Buckwheat contains all the
essential amino acids (proteins the body cannot manufacture) in good
proportions, making it closer to being a "complete" protein than any
other plant source, even soybean.  It is high in fiber and B vitamins;
and according to a USDA study, keeps glucose levels in check better
than other carbohydrates (which is good for diabetic celiacs).

Quinoa is not a true cereal grain but is technically the botanical
fruit of the Chenopodium family.  Although relatively new to North
Americans, it has been cultivated in South America since at least 3000
BC.  It is an annual herb that grows from three to six feet high.  The
seeds look like a cross between sesame seeds and millet and grow in
large clusters at the end of each stalk.

Quinoa seeds are high in protein compared to other grains and have a
good balance of amino acids.  Quinoa is exceptionally high in lysine,
an amino acid not overly abundant in the vegetable kingdom.  In
addition, it is a relatively good source of phosphorus, calcium, iron,
vitamin E, and several of the B vitamins.

These three products are gluten-free.  Is contamination an issue?  To
some extent, yes.  As celiacs, we need to be aware of the possibility
of contamination in all foods that we consume.  We rely on companies
who process and manufacture both gluten-containing and gluten-free
products to be truthful and honest in their disclosures.  To eliminate
needless concerns, be sure to verify sources and methods.

Most mills in the United States grind a variety of grains, both
gluten-containing and gluten-free.  That means gluten-free flours such
as rice, soy, garbanzo bean, and sorghum (jowar) carry the same risk
for contamination as amaranth, buckwheat, and quinoa flours.  We seem
to be less afraid to consume Cool Whip, a product of no real
nutritional value, than we are to consume quinoa, which is known to be
nutritious.

It does make sense to be concerned about contamination, and milling is
the most likely place for it to occur.  If possible buy specialty
grains that are processed by companies that do not grow or mill grains
that contain gluten.  Small organic mills that specialize in only one
or two types of flour are a good choice.  The organic certification
process has very strict rules on cleaning and storing, and organic
mills usually have the highest standards.  This usually leads to
higher costs for the final product, of course.

The inclusion of amaranth, buckwheat, and quinoa can add variety to
the celiac diet.

Contributors:  Nu-World Amaranth, Minn-Dak Growers Ltd., Quinoa
Corporation, The National Buckwheat Institute, Gluten-Free Living;
Kemp Randolph, Ph.D., Donald Kasarda, Ph.D., J.H.Skerritt, M.D., Joan
M. Wade, Sylvan Border Farm Products.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

The Original Nutribiotic Vitamins are gluten-free.  Call 800-225-4345
for more information.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Rice Bran is more powerful than oat bran in controlling cholesterol as
one would need 1/2 cup oat bran to have the same cholesterol-lowering
effects of 2 tablespoons of rice bran.<6>

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

In Italy, according to Dr. Alessio Fasano, beginning in 1999 all
children 7 years old will have their blood serum tested for celiac
disease (CD).  In one region in Italy, the prevalence of CD is as high
as 1:184.  It is 1:341 in parts of Sweden.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

A Celiac Child in Disneyland:  Before our vacation to Disneyland this
past summer with my eight-year-old celiac son, I called customer
services food preparation (714-781-4650) and spoke with Debbie.  She
was very helpful and suggested that I speak with Chef Chris Justesen
(714-781-3569).  Chef Chris called me back within the hour.  He told
me he has a friend who is a celiac, understood the importance of the
diet, and welcomed our input.  Chef Chris met us on our arrival at the
park.  He made special arrangements in Tomorrowland to accommodate my
son's special dietary needs and made sure that the staff there was
informed of proper procedures for cooking his food.  I cannot tell you
what it meant to me to be able to enjoy a vacation free of worry about
every meal and every snack.  Words cannot express the feeling of
confidence on my son's face when he literally dug into a meal he knew
he could eat without experiencing symptoms later.  "Thank you" is not
enough for the joy all the staff at Disneyland give millio ns of us
each year and it can never be enough for the "extra mile" the staff
walked for me and my son.  Chef Chris was kind enough to give
permission to give his name to other celiac families so they can have
the same wonderful experience my son and I had at Disneyland.--Barbara
Grange, CDF R.O.C.K. mom

:                                                      :
: Excerpts from the Healthy Villi Celiac Support Group :
: ---------------------------------------------------- :
: newsletter: Winter 1999       Melinda Dennis, editor :
:                                   95 Orchard St., #2 :
:                                Somerville, MA  02144 :
:......................................................:

Product Research:

  *  Arrowhead Mills:  Their rice puffs and corn puffs are no longer
     gluten-free.  They are manufactured at a different site where the
     probability of contamination with gluten is high.  (Sondra
     Kinsey, Aug.  1998, 806-364-0730)

  *  GFA Brands states that all Smart Beat products (such as Smart
     Balance Light Soft Spread) is gluten-free and lactose-free.
     (Joan Dippolito, Oct.  1998, 201-568-9300)

  *  Hillshire Farms:  Their Deli Select Roast Beef now contains wheat
     bran.  In addition, Hillshire Farm hot dogs with any one of these
     titles are no longer gluten-free:  Lean & Hardy, 97% Fat Free,
     and Fat Free.  (Vicki, Nov.  1998, 800-328-2426)

  *  Nature's Path Honey'd Cornflakes cereal is gluten-free, but their
     regular Cornflakes cereal is NOT gluten-free.  (Parimal Rana,
     Sep.  1998, 604-940-0505, e-mail [log in to unmask])

:                                                        :
: Excerpts from the Nashville Celiac Sprue Support Group :
: ------------------------------------------------------ :
: newsletter: Jan. 1999                Tori Ross, editor :
:                                     701 Heather Spring :
:                              Brentwood, TN  37027-4424 :
:........................................................:

New Cookbooks:

  *  Bette Hagman has a new cookbook coming out in March, just on
     bread:  _The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes the Staff of Life:  Bette
     Hagman's Better Breads--Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, and Wonderful_.
     The price is currently unknown.  ISBN 0805060774

  *  A new cookbook by Jacqueline Mallorca will soon be available.
     _The Perfect Dinner, Fine Food Cooked with Foil_ is published by
     Fair Oaks Press.  All recipes using wheat have substitutes listed
     for gluten-free (GF) cooking.  Jacqueline is a celiac herself.
     Her recipes often appear in the San Francisco Chronicle food
     section, and they are almost always GF.  The price of her new
     cookbook is currently unknown.  ISBN 0965881180

  *  Carol Fenster, Ph.D., also has a cookbook that's due out in
     February, she hopes:  _Special Diet Celebrations:  Without Wheat,
     Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Yeast, or Refined Sugar_.  How about this:
     "Celebrate special occasions with entrees, breads, desserts,
     breakfasts, side dishes, salads, and condiments....fabulous
     dishes for you and your guests to enjoy--without worry!"
     Bookstores can order this from Ingram & Bookpeople.  Individuals
     can order it directly from the publisher at 1-800-741-5418, for
     $18.95 plus $3.00 shipping and handling.  This cookbook was
     pictured in the last issue of Sully's Living Without.  You can
     visit <http://www.ReadersNdex.com/specialdiet> on the internet
     to learn more about it.