From:
Sue George <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:34:57 -0500

I have been using the Odlum's Tritamyl Bread Mix, flour and brown bread mix
for a while and have come up with a few recipes I wanted to share with
those that use the product. These recipes have a really good taste. This
product does have wheat starch, however it is used in europe.

Amounts for bread machine for white bread 1 1/2 lb. loaf

Follow your machines directions and add:

3 1/2 C Tritamyl White Bread Mix flour
1/4 C sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 pkg)
2 1/4 tsp xanthum gum

1 1/3 C water 115 degrees or warm
1/4 C lard or shortening. I use butter Crisco
1 beaten egg
3/4tsp dough enhancer or vinegar

Let it rise according to directions and bake.

White Bread

This will make a 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf.  Grease pan, set oven to 350 degrees,
bake for 30/35 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together:

1 C Tritamyl White Bread Mix flour
1/8 C sugar (2 Tbl)
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 pkg)
1 3/4 tsp xanthum gum

Combine:

3/4 C water 115 degrees or warm
1/8 C lard or shortening (2 Tbl.)I use butter Crisco

Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed,
scraping bowl as needed.  Add to make a thick batter:

1 beaten egg
1/4 C Tritamyl White Bread Mix flour
1/2 tsp dough enhancer or vinegar

Beat 1/2 minute at low speed, then at high speed 3 minutes.

Add:

1 C Tritamyl White Bread Mix flour

I have a Kitchen Aide and I use the dough hook at this point and beat on
speed 2 until it's well mixed (about 3 minutes) but I think you could just
beat it with a regular flat beater.

At this point the dough is a bit sticky but holds a shape.

Put it in the pan and smooth the top.

Let it rise 35/60 minutes or until double in size but not over the top of
the loaf pan, it will continue to rise as it bakes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30/35 minutes.

Brown Bread Mix

This will make a 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf.  Grease pan, set oven to 350 degrees,
bake for 30/35 minutes.

Amish Baked Doughnuts

1TBL yeast
1/8 C 0r 2 TBL warm water
3/4C lukewarm milk(scalded then cooled)
1/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 egg (large)
3 TBL shortening
21/4 C Tritamyl flour
11/2 tsp Xanthum
1/8 C butter or margarine melted(may need more)
Cinnamon sugar or sugar

In large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add milk,sugar, salt,
nutmeg,cinnamon,egg,shortening,xanthum and 1 C flour.  Blend 1/2 min low,
scraping bowl-beat high 2 min.  Add remaining flour until batter is smooth,
scraping bowl.  I beat it at high spead about 2 or 3 minutes to blend.

Turn dough out onto a well-floured cloth,covered board and roll it around
to coat it w/flour.(Dough is soft to handle)  I just pat it out to about
1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness but you can use a flour covered rolling pin.

I used a flour dipped glass about the size I wanted the doughnut, then took
a flour dipped shot glass and made the hole.  You can also try a doughnut
cutter.

Carefully lift with a spatula to a greased baking sheet and place 2 inches
apart.  Brush with melted butter or mar., cover and let them rise until
double about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Check
constantly after 8 minutes they brown up quick.  Immediately brush with
melted butter and shake in a bag with sugar.

Makes between 9 and a dozen
Pizza Dough

1 pkg dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 Cup warm water (105 to 115)
pinch salt 1/4 tsp
2 tsp Olive Oil
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups Tritamyl Bread Mix
2 1/2 tsp Xanthum gum
1 Tbl cornmeal

Mix Xanthum gum with 2 1/2 C flour set aside.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl.  Add salt, olive oil and
2 1/2 cups flour mixture.  Attach bowl and flat beater.  Turn to speed 2
mix 1 minute.

I switched to the dough hook at this point.
Continuing on speed 2, Mix 2 minutes dough should be clinging to hook and
somewhat coming off the sides of the bowl.  However, it does seem to remain
in the bottom of the mixer to some degree.  Knead on speed 2, 2 minutes
longer.

Brush 14 inch pizza pan with oil.  Put dough in pan and turn to coat dough
with oil. Dough will spread easily at this point with your bare hands.
Press dough across bottom of pan forming a collar around edge to hold
toppings.

Be sure to let it rest for 15-20 minutes or more depending on how thick you
want the crust.  The 15-20 minutes gave me a regular crust not a deep dish
type crust.

Bake at 450 degrees for 5 min., transfer to pizza brick, top and cook for
20 minutes. This is what I do.

Or if you don't have the pizza brick then just put on toppings and bake for
15-25 minutes.  You could also bake it for 5 minutes, then put on toppings
and continue baking it. This is how my daughter makes it.  Try it both ways
see which you like.

I've found the flour at www.foodireland.com and at www.glutenfreemall.com

Please don't send e mails telling me not to use the product.  I'm regualry
tested for my celiac condition and am watching the results carefully. I'm
just trying to share recipes with people who have chosed to use the product.

Thanks,

SG