Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 23:58:42 -0500

I am responding with comments about the elderly individual with celiac
disease.  Quite a number of celiac are now diagnosed at an advanced age.
Some as late as  the mid 80's.   The length of time they have been
affected is unknown but in many there is a  long history of suspicious
symptoms or medical abnormalities.  Many of the older patients may not
entirely heal their mucosa.  I am unsure why this is.  I could
speculate that it is related to more compliance problems, or more
poorere generation related to age, or the effects of lifelong exposure
to gluten.  It may be a combination of these.  I certainly have elderly
patients who become quite well if they adhere to the diet.

The other issue is whether there is an associated lymphoma. This can be
the first presentation of celiac disease in an elderly person.  Most
nursing homes if they are the receipients of federal funds may be
governed by the americans with disabilities act and if you regard a
celiac as intestinely challenged, then that is a possible "stick"

Not medical advice.
Joe Murray