From:
Desiree Ferrandi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:33:41 -0400

Thank you to everyone who responded.  It seems that I have asked a
question that not only has been discussed before but that people have
very definite opinions on.  Here is the summary, but please don't shoot
the messenger.  Everyone should decide what is best for him/herself.
Desiree

In this country all the Celiac organizations are very conservative and
their position is that this could have gluten in it.  You have to make a
personal decision as to whether this is ok or not because U.S. Celiac
associations won't say it's ok.

I would suggest you to go to this site:
http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtag=celiac&nav=messages
many discussions are posted here regarding Odlums

if it's safe for celiacs in Europe then it's also safe for celiacs in
the US. US celiac organizations have scared US celiacs into thinking
that Europeans, who have far more experience with CD than we do, are
incompetant in treating celiacs.

Gluten-free is Europe is a medical treatment and wheat starch has to
meet strict standards, probably pharmaceutical stardard for purity and
gluten content.

    In the US it's probably made by General Mill who can't keep Fruit
Roll Ups from being containing gluten, although there is not gluten in
the ingredients.

In the European celiac community it is believed that a small ingestion
of gluten at this level is inconsequential.  In the American celiac
community there is a zero tolerance for gluten.

The international conference on Celiac,  the U.S. and Canada, DO NOT
recommend eating wheat starch.  They say that there have not been enough
studies done to assure their safety.  Stay away from it.

Wheat starch is not allowed for celiacs in all European countries. I
think Scandinaiva, England and Ireland use it.  I've been a celiac for
10 years and have been eating wheat starch based products all the time.
I feel fine.

About three years ago I deployed to England and met up with a few
celians there.  I eat some of their products that contained wheat starch
and had no ill effects.

Tritamyl flours are readlily available in pharmacists to UK coeliacs on
prescription and generally available in supermarkets in Ireland where it
is made. It is made to the same standard as other European products
containing wheat starch for coeliacs and therefore considered safe by
coeliac consultants and dieticians for all but the tiny minority of very
sensitive coeliacs who possibly have other allergies. (Incidentally the
debate about using products like this does not really feature in Europe
where manufacturers have been producing G-F products for many years).
It is wonderful flour to use especially for brown bread and scones and
other recipes requiring a traditional 'strong' flour. In Ireland I have
been told that it is the flour of choice for bakeries specializing in
gluten-free products. Good luck with it.  I , and my 82 year old coeliac
mother and 11 year old son certainly would not be without it

I will provide you with this site it talks about the wheat starch under
the forbidden list #5. www.celiac.com/forbiden.html#ada_guidelnes