From:
"Judy C. Hettena Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:43:52 -0500

Hi All,
Sorry it took me so long to summarize the posting about tiramisu, I was out
of town and then I got sick.

Several people wrote me about gf ladyfingers and confectioner's sugar.

However, no one had an answer about marscapone cheese.  Because we are not
supposed to post regular recipies to the list, I will respond to those of
you who asked for a tiramisu recipie individually  (please be patient -
I've got a lot of email to catch up on).  If anyone else wants these
recipies, please email me personally.  I think at least one of them can be
adapted, as long as you make the right choice of alcohol.

Here are the summaries:

I get ladyfingers (ready made) from De Ro Ma Foods.  They are located in the
Montreal area, so now might not be the best time to order from them.  I hear
they really have it bad up there.  They have several products that are good.
Their phone # is- 1-800-363-3438.  You can also download a catolog from the
internet.  Their address is http://www.cosmo2000.ca/deroma The big problem
with ordering from them is that they require a $50.00 (Canadian) order to
ship to the states.  Thats a lot of ladyfingers.  I have made several triffle
type desserts using their ladyfingers.  I found that they had to be made
about 18hrs ahead so the ladyfingers would have time to soak up and become
soft.  However, with that said, the end dessert was just as good, if not
better, then the ones I use to make with regular wheat type ladyfingers!!

Schar company makes ladyfingers, that they call savoy biscuits (a literal
translation from the Italian name SAVOIARDI) . I got them in Italy and do
not know if they are available in the US. The only thing I could find on
the box is the company address: Dr. Schar Srl, Via Winkelau, 5, 39014
Postal/Merano ITALY.

I have ordered g.f. ladyfingers from a Canadian company, De-Ro-Ma. My
husband just used them over the weekend to make a wonderful chocolate
ganache pie.

You can buy "savoiardi" (the Italian name for lady fingers) by Dr Schar
through their Canadian distributor de-ro-ma T.1 800 363 DIET
I cannot say they are the best GF cookies I ever tasted, but with a lot of
mascarpone, cocoa and sugar, they will probably do..

The only place I've seen these sold is Hammermuehle in Germany.  I've had
good luck substituting GF flour mix for the flour in the following recipe
from "Le Cordon Bleu At Home":

Ladyfingers

3 eggs, separated
6 Tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 cup sifted GF flour mix
6 Tbsp confectioner's sugar

  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Brush 2 baking sheets with softened
butter and line with parchment paper.

  Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Gradually beat in the granulated sugar and continue beating until still peaks
form again; the meringue will be glossy and smooth.  Lightly beat the egg
yolks with a fork and fold into the meringue with a wooden spoon.  Sift the
flour mix over the mixture and fold in gently.

  Pipe the ladyfinger batter (using a pastry bag with a large plain tip) in
strips 5 inches long and 3/4 inch wide diagonally onto the baking
sheets,leaving 1 to 2 inches between each strip.  Sprinkle half of the
confectioner's sugar over the ladyfingers; wait 5 minutes and sprinkle with
the remaining sugar.

  Holding the parchment paper in place with your thumb, lift one side of the
baking sheet and gently tap it on the work surface to remaove excess sugar.

  Bake without opening the oven door for 10 minutes.  Then rotate the baking
sheet and cook until lightly golden, about 5 more minutes.  Remove the
ladyfingers from the baking sheet with a metal spatula while still hot and
cool on a rack.

  Store in an airtight container.

I used Bette Hagman's GF mix, but any "light" GF flour should work..

Confectioners sugar is GF if you can tolerate corn (which I can't myself);
however, I found out that if you put regular cane sugar in a coffee grinder
and grind for about l0 seconds, viola!, you have confectioners sugar. You can
add a little arrowroot powder to the sugar before you blend it if you wish.

I'm sure you've been answered, but just in case - some confectioner's sugar
is OK, some is not. Gotta read the ingredients, as generally some starch is
added. Domino's was OK, last I checked.

Check your labels, but confectioner's sugar is usally sugar mixed with
cornstarch.  All the confectioner's sugar I've ever purchased have only
those two ingredients.  Completely GF!!