From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:06:41 -0400

The mail is still coming in.

#1/Please don't be so hard on those folks.

What happens to my gut when I eat wheat and barley is the exact same response
I have when I eat quinoa and amaranth, therefore I cannot eat any of them.  If
you can, fine.  But obviously some of us can't.  My temp goes up, my gut
swells, it gets tender, I start to bruise and get large loose stools.  Just
like my gut is inflamed and I am malabsorbing.

#2/>Dear [CSA/USA],
    While I have not thrown any rocks at CSA/USA and I may not agree with
the way that the lady in question registered her complaint, I have felt from
the very beginning that CSA/USA takes an improper position.
    While you speak of uncertainties and education you seem to miss the
point that the lady is trying to make. Because of what CSA/USA is, and
because of the environment that it operates in, this organization should be
very careful about what statements it makes.
    Statements of fact, opinion, and recommendation should always be
spelled out clearly. CSA/USA is not a religion that is writing a bible that
should be taken on faith. Education of this disease is difficult enough with
out having predominant organizations making unsubstantiated statements; in
doing so CSA/USA is not educating anybody, but rather confusing everybody
that reads and takes their information seriously.
   In my opinion CSA/USA would do themselves and everyone connected with
this topic a very great service if they reviewed the way they present their
material with a mind to making sure that what they print as fact is actually
fact and what they print as opinion is clearly stated as such.

#3/ You likely have stirred a hornet's nest.  Still, such senseless
prohibitions are part of what make some people think of us as fanatics, and
discourage newly diagnosed celiacs from compliance with the diet.  I'm
saying that it is a hornet's nest that I think needed to be disturbed...

#4/Is canola oil ok, I can't figure out what's in it.
thank you

I have responded to all of the above, but I do not know about canola oil.
I believe it is made from something called rape seed, but that the name has
such negative connotations it is called canola and not rape seed oil as it
is in Europe.  Is that correct?  Why is canola oil on the list?  Help,
please.

Time for an overdue breakfast of cooked rice cereal and walnut bits - with
cinnamon.

 Gayle Kennedy