From:
Rene' Eichem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:18:14 -0600

Here are more responses I have received in my request for GF lunches to
take to work. Keep the responses coming and I'll keep posting summaries!

p.s. I have since learned there are microwaves where I will be working, so
that helps tremendousley.

I also came up with the idea of making myself grilled-cheese sandwiches to
eat for breakfast during my commute to work each morning (I am NOT a
morning person and never have time to eat before going to work, so by
mid-morning I am famished). I have found that if you make a g-cheese
sandwich and put it in a plastic sandwich bag while the sandwich is still
warm, within a few minutes the bread because very soft and moist and it is
easy to eat. I thought others might want to try this. This also works for
fried egg sandwiches too. Add some ham slices (or other meat) and some
cheese to your GF toast then pop it still warm in a plastic sandwich bag
until the bread is  soft and moist. It tastes like an Egg McMuffin from
McDonalds!

What about chili (if they have microwave?) I make this with kidney beans,
Grd. beef or turkey, Stewed Tomatoes, Assorted Veggies, Chili Powder, a
dash of Cumin and Salt and pepper to taste.  Bring along some corn
tortillas for dipping!  Also, I make sandwiches on GF bread, Grilled
chicken Salads, Hummus or Babaganouj (roasted eggplant dip) with rice
crackers, GF bread, veggies, different soups, etc.

Pretty easy to take sandwiches and keep em in the frig. Or just keep the
makin's so you can make them fresh at noon.

I have a small sunpacker cooler and some Scotch Ice.  And I make what I
call roll-ups:  A nice leaf of lettuce or spinach that I can either fill
with tuna or chicken or crabmeat salad or layer with ham or turkey or (my
favorite) rare roast beef and cheese and anything else that belongs IN a
sandwich without bread.  I first fold over the ends, then roll 'em up.
Everything is tidy and stays put.  These are easy to eat while I'm driving
and they're satisfying (ie, I don't get tummy grumbles mid-afternoon).

I keep a desk drawer at work with food in it.  These choices include tuna
with pop tops, soup (Campbell's chicken and rice: this doesn't bother me,
but cross check for yourself in case: don't take my word alone), rice cakes
and gluten free pretzels (available from Ener-G Foods or Dietary
Specialties.)

Ener-G Foods sells 2-slice packaged bread which is great for sandwiches.  (I
really like the Papa's Loaf, but they have a lot of different ones).  It is
really best when toasted before making a sandwich, if you have that
available. I can bring sandwiches from home, but I keep a couple of those
packets in my desk as well, and I can take it down to our cafeteria and go
through the sandwich line and they make it for me.  It makes me feel so
"normal"!  They sell them by the case.  You can 14 for $17 or $18.  They
have a special patented packaging that gives them a shelf life of up to six
months.  I have had the ones on my shelf right now for four months, and I
had a sandwich on it yesterday and it tasted just great.  I know it's
expensive, but I don't eat sandwiches all that often, (as exampled by the
fact that I still have about three or them left after four months)and so
it's worth it to me.  I don't have to worry about the bread going bad, and
can choose a sandwich meal whenever the mood hits me.

Other options I bring are yogurt, salads, or whatever was leftover from
dinner the night before.  Once you know your microwave status, you might
consider ordering frozen entrees from Dietary Specialties.  I have had lots
of those, and they are very, very tasty!  They have Italian and Chinese
entrees, their CHicken Stew tastes like those Pot Pies I used to eat before
going GF, only without the crust.  I order several at a time and keep them
handy in the freezer.  They ship them to you in dry ice, and they are still
frozen just fine when they arrive.

I always made extras of my gluten free dinners and then put the leftovers in
a microwavable container:  homemade chicken soup with chinese rice noodles,
brown rice pasta with sauce,  pea soup, another favorite of mine was my
risottos and if you add a little water then heat in the microwave it does
well.

My standard lunch during my working days was a  salad.  I would make it the
night before when I was making dinner.  I  got in the habit of cooking
extra for dinner for left overs, etc.  I made a  "chef" salad with a
variety of veggies, meat from my dinner, maybe  some cheese, and yes,
rice.  Keep dressing in the fridge at work, pour it  over, and it is yummy.
Has all the food groups and is great for afternoon  energy.

My favorite travel food is soup.  It provides me with my meat and veggies all
in one dish.  I make a pot of homemade chicken vegetable soup or beef
vegetable soup.  It takes time but it's worth it.  I then freeze individual
servings in rubbermaid containers.  One can go from the freezer to
refrigerator, for defrosting, the night before.  Then heat it in the
microwave at lunchtime.  Great with you gf crackers.

Salads are great. I like to just throw together whatever I have on hand in
the way of lettuce, spinich, and other veggies. Then I add canned beans
(kidney, garbonzo, pinto), tuna, leftover meat, olives, hard boiled eggs,
etc. I pour a little flaxseed oil over it for dressing, and maybe some
lemon juice, and I have quite the meal. Cold leftover pancakes or waffles
with jam are good too.

I take lunch to work.  It's always something different. Today I had left
over polenta with little bits of left over meat added.  Very good, along
with carrots and an orange.  Yesterday I had goat cheese and crackers,
carrots and an orange.  Usually it's left over dinner which I microwave. I
also buy tomato soup at Trader Joes and leave it in the fridge at
work.  Half of that box in a cup is very good.  Cut up veggies, a whole
tomato.  cottage cheese with cut up tomatoes and cucumbers is a
favorite.  I take celery with cream cheese stuffing. Sometimes I make tuna
salad and take a little jar of that.  A handful of nuts is good too.  I
work near Asian markets, so sometimes if there's absolutely nothing at home
to eat, I buy rice flour noodles rolled up with dried or fresh
shrimp.  Take two of these from the package, cut them up, heat in the
microwave, add shrimp paste and g-f soy sauce - heaven.

Here are a few of the items that I take to work:

            Dried figs + whole almonds
            Dates + pecans
            Tostadas (corn tortilla, refried beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese)
            Turkey chili (made from carroll shelby's packaged seasoning mix)
            Broiled chicken