From:
Irma R DeBruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:20:09 -0500

Because there is some risk of lymphoma and only studies in other countries
cited I would like to share the following information:

The National Research Commission on Life Science and the Institute of
Medicine are establishing the National Cancer Policy Board. They are
soliciting nominations and ideas about what topics the board should
address. The will have 20 board members which can range from patients to
researchers and can include representatives of hospitals, pharmaceutical
companies etc.

To submit nominations or ideas
address

National Cancer Policy Board
Institute of Medicine and Commission on Life Sciences
2101 Constitution Avenue, NW Washington DC 20418
202-334-1382     e-mail [log in to unmask]

Lets nominate some reseacher or physician who might convince the policy
board of the need to:

Improve early diagnosis to lessen the amount of time one will be at risk
by continuing to eat gluten.

Set up a intestinal cancer registry with provision for running celiac
diagnostics on patients who present with intestinal lymphoma.

Study the relationship between refractory sprue and lymphoma.

Consider use of the term enteropathy associated T-Cell lymphoma on
Cancer-Net and other NIH programs.

Look for treatment methods and run controlled trials for patients who have
the above.

I am sure others can think up other and better topics for the board to
address.

The point is we have an opportunity to make our problems known and perhaps
we could then have the government on our side - even perhaps going as far
as convincing the legislature to have the FDA have a greater roll in
regulating gluten as a way of preventing cancer.

Irma