From:
"Charles W. Lease" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:30:33 -0700

Dear Firends,
     My son has had ADHD since 1st grade and he is now in the 4th
grade.  Ritalin seemed to help some but upset his stomach.  We switched
to Dexedrine and then Cylert with no change in stomach problems or
ADHD.  Our pediatrician suggested that he get tested for CD because he
attended a conference by Dr. Fasano where he learned that ADHD symptoms
can come as a result of CD.
     He blood tests showed antigen #'s in the 90's, he had a slight
distended stomach, diahrea or loose stools several times a week, a lower
growth percentile than from birth, and some indication of CD from his
tooth enamel.  His intestinal biopsy came back negative but Dr. Fasano
is convinced he has CD and sent the biopsy to another lab for more
intensive testing which should take about 1-2 months.  The doctor told
us to start him on the GF diet.
     He has been on the diet for 4 weeks now and we see no change in
behavior.  He is driving the teachers crazy at school, he has very few
friends in the neighborhood due to the fact that he is mean to them, and
our family is in a constant state of chaos.  Dr. Fasano said we have to
give the diet more time to have an effect.  He is driving us to an early
grave with the stress he has placed in our family with his behavior.
     I have been teaching elementary school for 23 years and have used
every method I and my colleagues can think of to get through this.  We
have been to two different counselors.  After months of therapy, she
said that she didn't know what else to do.
     MY QUESTION: Has anyone else had problems similar to this?  Is
there any hope that he will straighten out and have normal problems.
PLEASE, no curt answers.  I just want to know if CD has had this affect
on anyone else.

Charlie