From:
Donald Baisch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Baisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:28:11 -0700

Subject: Finger Stick Test for Celiac Disease RE: Date:    Sat, 24 Aug 2002 04:49:47 -0700

The following is my understanding of the current tTG work going on

1. The IgA Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) Autoantibody Assay is a test that is still
undergoing testing by various laboratories to get some statistical agreement between
suppliers on its effectiveness.  I don't know what the relationship between this test and
the
dot blot tTG test that Alessio Fassano was working on two years ago.

There is some quantity of celiacs with IgA deficiency that it does not detect.
That is why the standard suppliers of the Serum Antibody tests for celiac disease still
include three other tests in the panel of tests.

2. The tTG test does not replace the biopsy as the "gold standard"

3. The NIH working committee is still working on standards for
    a.    The standard protocol for serum antibody tests
    b.    The standard protocol for the taking of the biopsy
    c.    The standard protocol for the pathology analysis and reporting.

that is why I question the accuracy of the following  report from York Nutricional
Laboratories as well as ask to see the peer reviewed study  that supports their claims.

"Using a unique specimen collection kit, both medical professionals and patients alike can

simply prick the end of the finger to collect a tiny sample of blood required for testing.
"The specimen is conveniently sent to our laboratory in a provided return mailer. An
analysis known as an IgA Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) Autoantibody Assay is then
performed, and within 10 days the test results and support materials are shipped directly
to either
the ordering physician or the patient," explains Martha Gonzalez, York Nutritional
Laboratories' Operations Manager. "This entire non-invasive process is far less expensive
and much more convenient than the intestinal biopsy procedure used in the past."

I really question the validity of the last sentence above.

Their report is interesting but appears to be misleading in my opinion

Donald Baisch
Carlsbad, Calif.