From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:42:31 -0500

Hi Everyone!

Well, this was another great lunch event!  The Olive Garden was wonderful
and they were extra careful with our lunches.  Everyone was friendly and
very helpful!

Kate and I spent a half hour talking with John Edwards, Jr., the general
manager of Olive Garden, before the rest of the group came.  We gave John a
walk-through of celiac and all the intricacies and challenges we face.  We
also gave John a folder of information about celiac, the gluten-free diet,
and recent news along with a thank you letter!  John was very appreciative
and interested in what we had to say!

Then we ate lunch without a worry!  We had lots of information sharing, as
usual.  One of our newest members Betty brought some of her recent issues
of "Gluten-Free Living" for us to look at.  There were so many interesting
articles that I am definitely subscribing! Kate had just bought a book
called "Allergy Friendly Food" and circulated it around the group!  If the
recipe was gluten-free, it was labeled as such!  I had recently bought the
2005 "The Gluten/Wheat Free Guide to Eating Out" (by Jeff Beavin) so I
circulated this around the group.  We may get some ideas for our future
monthly meetings from this book!

We also welcomed our newest and youngest member of the group Angela who
will turn 3 in a month.  Both Jennifer and Jeff, Angela's parents, came and
shared Angela's story.  Angela looks like any healthy happy little girl and
you would never know she was a very very sick baby!  Angela had fun testing
daddy’s patience with the salt & pepper shakers.  Mom was very proud and
brought a camera to take pictures!

Well, we've started discussing our next events and it looks like it will be:
-> July - P.F. Changs (July 23rd - so mark your calendars. I need to make
reservations 2 weeks in advance)
-> August - Good Ol' Days (Kate will research and talk with the manager)
-> September - BBQ & Everyone brings a dish (this will be at my place)and
maybe a little Bocci Ball!
-> October - Blue Restaurant ~ a 5 star restaurant in Charlotte and Betty's
son-in-law, Gene, is the chef!  We will not only have a great dinner but I
think some desserts to choose from too!  So, from my 1-star BBQ cooking to
Gene's 5-star gourmet cooking...it just doesn't get any better than this!!!
-> November - unsure (maybe back to the Red Bowl since they were so good to
us and they have a great selection of meals!)
-> December - Ashley is already thinking of some holiday ideas!  So send
any suggestions her way...:>)

Thanks again to everyone for making this afternoon another enjoyable event!
Thanks also to the management of Olive Garden for bringing back to many of
us the experience of just being able to relax and enjoy a meal with people
you like and who understand your situation!

Best Regards, Janet

p.s...there was so much talk of ice cream at lunch that I just couldn't
pass the Dairy Queen on the way home...:>)