From:
mary schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:25:29 -0700

Wow!  29 responses, most of which were absolute horror stories of incorrect
diagnosis, pain and suffering.  I am stunned by what so many of you have had
to endure, and am encouraged and impressed by your generosity of spirit.

Generally, the recommendation was that it sure couldn't hurt anything to try
going gluten free whether it was DH or not.  Almost entirely, everyone
improved greatly upon eliminating gluten.  One dear soul's story sounded
very much like this young man's.  (Christie, you are impressive!!!)

He is an exceptionally intelligent person and when I suggested he
investigate CD and DH, he did so with a great deal of cynicism and skeptisim
... he is pretty much convinced now, and decided to go gluten-free on the
weekend.  Wasn't too hard for him because he wasn't eating any way.  He is
extremely hopeful that this is the cause.  He says it makes much more sense,
given his symptoms and the appearance of his rash (rash would be a huge
understatement) that it is DH rather than psoriasis and rhumatoid arthritis.
He is going to take that clinical-trial medication as well because he
desperately needs relief for his skin.

So many of your responses were filled with suggestions and kindness.  What a
group!

I was biopsy diagnosed in December '98 when the Dr was looking for a
bleeding duodenal ulcer to explain an unresolved anemia.  Had few other
symptoms at all.  I certainly didn't suffer like most of you (except for
those very ouchie iron shots).  I feel so blessed.

I've forwarded all the responses to him, but he won't be back home (Calgary)
for another few days.  I hope he will contact those of you who have offered
to be in contact with him.  I am so encouraged by y'all, and I'm sure he
will be too.

Thank you so very, very much.