From:
Laurie Gentrup <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Gentrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:51:33 -0700

Most recommended supplements which my doctor had recommended.  I'm hoping the extra calcium supplements do their job since fosomax is out of the question right now.  No one had a good answer to the absorption question so I'll inquire with my doctor about it.  See if there is a reason to be concerned.

Obviously sticking to the diet is the best thing I can do.  But some nutrients are trickier to fit into the diet than others.  So this is a learning experience for me.

Most recommended keeping the baby GF for 2 years.  Others said wait until they are older and a couple said to introduce it normally but carefully.  I think we'll take the knowledge we have and discuss it with the pediatrician and formulate a plan.

Most encouraging were moms who have eaten healthy and have had healthy babies.  So far, ours is developing as it should.  Next ultrasound is in a month (20 weeks) and we're excited to see how the baby looks.

Thank you to everyone who replied.  I appreciated your thoughts and well wishes.

Laurie

<>

I am coming to you all for some advice/information. I am now 12 weeks pregnant. While we're excited, we're also a little worried about how celiac and being on the diet will affect the baby's development. I was previously on Fosomax for bone density loss so I'm concerned that I'm not absorbing enough nutrients from food (not just calcium). I don't know if the doctor should be doing something extra to make sure. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Second, has anyone had a baby who was diagnosed with celiac at birth? I didn't have celiac symptoms until I was 14 so I don't know what I could expect. Right now we're planning on keeping the baby gluten free for the first 2 two years and then will pursue testing unless we're advised otherwise.

So basically, I'm looking to hear from other celiac moms and what they experienced with the baby and their doctor.

Thanks for your help!

Laurie

Minneapolis, MN