From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:22:50 -0500

I asked for Christmas cookie recipes and got many.  Thank you to everyone
who responded!!  I'll send the actual recipes I've received out in separate
summaries.  Below are gf flours that can be substituted for wheat flour, and
at the end of this message, are a few other helpful suggestions to be used
when baking cookies.

FLOUR SUBSTITUTIONS
The majority of respondents said they used their old Christmas cookie
recipes with a GF flour mix replacing the wheat flour – in the exact same
amounts.  I tried this with one cookie recipe and was very pleasantly
surprised at the results.  I used Bette Hagman’s Featherlight Flour mix
because I’ve been so very pleased with the biscuits I’ve made with this mix.
IMPORTANT – most also include some amount of Xanthum gum along with the gf
flour.

SIMPLE SUBSTITUTIONS
Bette Hagman mix – generic or for sale (2)
Bette Hagman – Featherlight Flour Mix (2)
Bette Hagman – 4 Bean Flour Mix (2)
Rice flour instead of wheat flour (2)
Carol Fenster mix – “a blend of flour with corn flour instead of rice flour
a cookbook call Wheat Free Recipes and Menus” (1)
Bob’s all purpose gf flour (1)
Bob’s and Bette Hagman’s 50:50 (1)

Also include
Xanthum gum (varying amounts suggested:  1/2 tsp per recipe, 1 tsp per
recipe, 1/2 tsp per cup flour, 1 tsp per cup flour)
OR
Corn syrup (2 tbsp per recipe)
______________

COOKIE FLOUR MIX #1
2 c brown rice flour
2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour
1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch
1/2 c rice bran or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum

Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister. Use 1 c
of this mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour.
Works very well in cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out
sugar cookies.
_________

COOKIE FLOUR MIX #2
This recipe comes to us from Sue DeVries.

3 parts brown rice flour
1 part potato flour (not potato starch flour)
I use this flour mix for all of my "old" recipes from the days before I had
to eat gluten-free. My cookies turn out great!
___________

COOKIE FLOUR MIX #3
6 cups white rice flour
2 cups potato starch (NOT the same as potato flour)
1 cup tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour)
Egg Replacer
Use Egg Beaters or generic equivalent in cookies that call for eggs.
_________________

COOKIE FLOUR MIX #4
1 c.    brown rice flour
1 1/4   c. white rice flour
1/4 c.  potato starch
2/3 c.  tapioca starch
3/4 c.  sweet rice flour
1/3 c.  cornstarch
2 tsp.  xanthan or guar gum

***Now, you can use use all your old favorite Christmas cookie recipes.
__________

COOKIE FLOUR MIX #5
You can use any recipe from any cookbook or use the back of the chocolate
chip wrapper to make your cookies. Just mix the following to make your own
gluten free flour and use it in the same amount as the recipe calls for.
Just refrigerate the dough for a while or over night and they won't spread a
lot.
6 cups white rice flour
2 cups potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour- mix together and keep in a tupperware container in the
refrigerator. I have never used a special gluten free recipe fpr cookies.
___________

COOKIE FLOUR MIX #6
I began baking cookies after years of doing without them when someone
mentioned using corn starch.  For each cup of flour the recipe calls for you
have to add that amount plus extra cornstarch.

OTHER HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS
I have found that the cookies are less apt to crumble if I let them cool on
the cookies sheet before removing them.

I use waxed paper sprinkled with sweet rice flour above and below the dough
as I roll out cookies.

I use parchment paper always now, wax paper will work also, on the cookie
sheets, because
Gluten free cookies are fragile when out of the oven, once they cool they
are more sturdy.  So fresh from the oven to the cooling rack, the paper
helps so you don’t need to touch the cookies, once cooled slide off paper
and reuse if cooking for 5 boys.

I find the sweet rice flour works well for rolling out cookies.