From:
Margaret Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:35:40 -0800

Just to add a note of support for Scott's position, these "cures" probably
needn't make it to something as big as the New England Journal of Med.,
but even some other respectable journal like Gastroenterology would do,
just so long as it is peer reviewed (ie by other scientist familiar with
the subject who can evaluate whether the study was done properly and
yielded valid results).

Also, there is a tremendous danger in rushing some treatment or "cure" to
the marketplace before thorough testing is done to ensure a) the treatment
works like it is intended to work and b) make sure there are no harmful
side-effects that would make the cure worse than the disease. Yes, I am
quite narrow-minded in that respect, but it's bad enough when I eat
gluten and get sick, but at least I and my doctor know what's going on. I
certainly don't want to take a chance on making things worse by taking
something that hasn't been clinically evaluated and proven to work. I may
volunteer to be involved in a clinical study, but only after being given
lots of information so that I understand the risks involved.

By the way, I think a cure for celiac disease may be to eliminate the
immune system, but there are some rather bad side-effects to such a
treatment. I think I'll just stay GF!

Margaret Pratt, Graduate Student        [log in to unmask]
Toxicology Program                      http://www.orst.edu/~prattm/
Oregon State University                 Ph:     541/737-6499
Corvallis, OR                           Fax:    541/737-1877