From:
Sarah R Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 21:33:38 -0500

Our pediatrician admitted openly to not knowing much about CD. He'd read
about it in med school. When I suggested to him that perhaps that was what
was going on with Virginia, he told me this, then went into his office
and pulled out his med books. We read them together, with what little
info was there. He then suggested that I see what other sources I
could find and gave me some ideas about the diet, as well as recommending
a gastro in Indianapolis, since this was the first he'd ever seen in
Lafayette.
        Folks, I was pleased that he told me how little he knew, rather than
pretending to know something. Most of the complaints I'm reading here are
about docs who act like they know all about CD and pooh-pooh any other
advice or info.
        However, something else to keep in mind: When we go to a doctor,
we tend to expect the doctor to have answers to all of our questions.
These guys are smart, but they can't know everything. Older docs tend to
get toughened toward this attitude after years of having to deal with
patients who are patient and expect an answer NOW. However, if we go
with a particular question in mind, and with some knowledge and info
ON PAPER to back us up, and don't go looking for a debate, we're more
able to work with our medical providers and they are more willing to
work with us.

Just my 2 cents

Sarah Rogers