From:
Steve Veach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:21:49 CST

Dan Davis wrote:

>   Recently, members of our support group have run into difficulty when
>questioning companies regarding the GF status of their products.
>Some(General Mills for one) state they will not claim that any of their
>products are GF since corn also contains gluten.
>
>   Iv' e heard gluten refered to as prolamins, peptides etc. Is there
>some catch-all term that could help in dealing with the toxic fractions
>of wheat ,rye, barley etc?

The only other "term" I have read about is gliadin, which I
think, is a fraction of gluten.  I have also had people
tell me that there is gluten in corn, and I have had to tell
them that I wasn't concerned about corn gluten.

Regarding difficulty with companies, I have generally had
good response from "most" companies with one LARGE exception,
that being Kraft Foods.  This was particularly disappointing
because they make SO many products and are very large.  They
were not interested in even discussing the subject with me
and I had to be rather insistent (in a nice way of course)
that they even log my reguest to investigate their supplier
sources for gluten content.  I was somewhat taken aback by
their callous attitude.

I will try and post a few recent discoveries of good products
from good companies that were ver cooperative and helpful.

I don't have this info at the office.

Steve Veach in Chicago, Illinois USA