From:
Carolynn Maltas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolynn Maltas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:12:41 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my wistful search for the "true French
baguette." Many responses were equally wistful and wishful-i.e failed
attempts, and hopes that others have done better. No one believes they
have found it!

Several recommended "Cause Your Special" breadmix.-"Sprinkle some corn
meal onto cooking sheet and make two long loaves.. Brush with egg yolk.
When risen make several  cuts with moist knife."

One recommended heating a baking stone for an hour in advance as a way
of crisping crust.

  Three recommended Bette Hagman's French Bread recipe, using only egg
whites, with one person recommending adding lecithin. One recommended
using "bagged Asian flours" and another sorghum flour.

Someone recommended Glutino's pre-made bread in the form of a "hoagie
roll." (I've hated the prepackaged ones.)

Two people recommended Made by Mona, but then pointed out that she can
no longer ship to the U.S.A. (Perhaps you could smuggle them in along
with your blood pressure medication.)

One person recommended a recipe in  Naturally Gluten-Free Cooking by
Debra D. Smith for French bread.

Two people recommended Gluten-Free Pantry's mix, which I have used and
find o.k., but not the real thing. Here's one person's note:
"Mix exactly according to instructions (recommend butter or half butter,
half oil); I use a dough hook in my kitchenaid mixer.  Don't beat it up,
just until mixed.  Use fresh yeast.

Spoon/Spread on to baguette pan sprayed lightly w Pam; allow a little
room to rise.  Use wax paper sprayed lightly w Pam to form it.  Rise 30
or so minutes in slightly warmed oven (maybe 110 degrees) then bake as
instructed.  I use a cookie sheet under the baguette pan; seems to even
the heat out.  10-15 minutes before it's done paint on egg white w
pastry brush for browning.  Cool on rack then remove.  After cooled wrap
wax paper longitudinally around bread & twist ends for storage.  I use
this to make baguettes, croutons, French toast (small size, ~2.5 inches
diameter) etc.  People can't believe it's GF. "

Another detailed recipe was given:
" I have had good luck with a very simple recipe.  I  use Dana Korn's
flour
mixture (2-1/2 cups rice flour-1 cup tapioca flour, 1 cup potatoe starch
flour,
1/4 cup cornstarch and  1/4 cup bean flour). (can trade quantites of
corn starch and potato starch to save money.)  I use NO OIL OR MILK OR
EGGS.  I just mix a T of yeast with I cup of warm water and a T of sugar
and let sit
about 10 min. and 1 tsp of vinegar and 1 Tbsp zanthum gum. Then I add it
along with about .6 to .8 cups more water to 3 cups
of the flour.   You will have to play with the water to see how which
texture
works best for you. The more water the larger the holes.  I shape the
bread into three small or two larger bagettes
in french baguette pans with holes and let rise about 70 minutes then
bake
for 25 min or until brown at 425.  Not only do I spray with water, but I
also put a pan on
the bottom of the oven and just before I put the bread in I put water
that I
have heated to a simmer in a kettle in  the bottom of the pan.  Be
careful
though, this has to be done with great care to avoid splattering on the
glass of
the door, which could crack.  I did test a pan with holes again one
without and
the one with holes was far superior

Repeated tips include: put stone or cookie sheet under to keep heat
even. Let rise longer than usual to get the "holes", possibly in an
oven at about 100 degrees, and make loaves long and thin. Spraying
water, or putting water, or even ice cubes in tray seems to make crust
crisper.
Many recommended brushing with egg, egg yolk, or egg white. However,
this is definitely not authentically French and gives a very different
crust.

Everyone says eat immediately or freeze and then reheat.